Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Nubs Guide To Stickmaking

CHAPTER 1: Mostly for nubs

Static/Dynamic
    You will need to know everything about static/dynamic when making a stick, and i mean everything to make a nice looking stick.
    Static: it holds all the detail in place and makes it so all the pivots(the dots) dont move every little line of detail. when using stativ in certain place note how you have to have it in certain pivots inorder for it to move with an arm leg or gun opening or a chain on a sword.
    Dynamic: it what maked the segment with the detail move. like arms or legs or moving a gun or sword. dynamic is what makes the animtion, an animtion. if a static is attachedm to a dynamiv pivot the dynamic pivot will move the static with it.
    static and dynamic is one of the hugest thigs you NEED to know beofore you make a stick. every detail on a gun or sword, or a guys arm, has to be static unless its an extra spike or a piece of hair. but thats a bit more advanced. where is the button that makes sticks you make static or dynamic?
    the button is located(click) here
    notive below in the smaller toolbar is tells you if a stick is static and dynamic. itll also change colors if its static. you dont want any dynamic pieces or you may move detail you dont want to move, so make sure everything that you want static is static.
    Nub asks: why do you need static detail? whats the diffrence between that and static?
    Well, do you want pivots everywhere and get you confused about what to grab? dont you want it usable or animatorable? it keeps all the extra pivots away from the pivots that move whatever it is your making. Dynamic also helps you move segments of sticks aroung. whatever stick you put in the orange pivot will be a seprate segment. you dont want that for guns or guys that are already complete. Remember that static/dynamic is the key to making a stick.

Saving/Loading

Nub says: so now i knwo about where the button for static/dynaimic is but how do i save and load sticks

well, you have a small toolbar up in the lefthand corner that has two options to click on. FILE and OPTIONS. click here to see where i can find this.
    Saving, ok so your done with a stick youve made, you feel proud! but you dont know how to save.....NO PROBLEM! click on the file button and you should have 6 choices to click on. new, open, save, save as and close. if you have a totally new stick you havent even saved yet, just click the save as button. If you want to save a stick you’ve already opened just click save.
    Load: simple as pie, just click the load button and find your stick, double click and your done!

Size segments

Nub asks: what is this? Click here

Well that is the segment enlarger. It changes the segment sizes! This will help you with realistic details and how big is something when you create it. If you want more realistic details on people, use smaller detail! If your making something like buildings or filling up a hole in your stick, use bigger segments! Segment sizes usually leads to blockiness, spikes, hair, perfecting details, sharp details.

Blockiness
    Nub says: people are saying my sticks are blocky, what does that mean and how can I fix it?

well, blockiness is when your sticks have segments that re a little to big and make it look a little screwed up. to fix it is to simply use smaller segments and fill any holes. any example of a blocky stick is....click here

Notice it is not carefully made, it shows poorly made detail on the helemet and is not spiked on the end or curved at all, it is all corners and squareish looking. This is just one example of blockiness. There are many more. People will use the word blocky to show your stick was poorly made. Use smaller segments add curves and spike edges whenever possible. This is a good way to start getting rid of blockiness. To finish getting rid of it, practice on small items like knifes, chairs, and other things that are small but improve you getting rid of blockiness. Try to regonize it right away as it is fatal to stick making.

making details

Making details is simple adding more to the common stick. Just add anything you want to a stick like a hat or clothes. To make details takes imagination or a pic. Try practicing small things like hats or pants and shirts then try rough designs then eventually leads to armored guys. Clothes guy or armour there both cool styles. Good details are usually done in small line segments to prevent blockiness. Like spikes and leg armour or even random detail. Try to improving by doing spikes and hair each day. Even try making a sig stick for your personal use. It really helps, detail is import because it makes a good stick, A EVEN BETETR STICK!!! Besides if all you had were bases we wouldn’t have special sticks we call sigs or other sticks that would fit are needs in an animation.

copying

Nub asks: cani copy pictures off the internet like guns to make sticks?

Well why not?go ahead! Copying a pic from the internet is an ok thing, it is what helps us start and finish guns, get ideas and that’s why we have half the sticks we do today. Stick shops use pictures so they know wht type of stick the person is asking for, if its super detailed or easy to do. I even use pictures for my guns, it all helps you.So use pictures only for details, copying, starting ideas and finishing them.

being creative

now, as you make a weapon/guy and you might be copying it or making it for the hell of it. but, add some creativity to it. addd details you like to it that doesnt show on the picture or in your orgainl thoughts.
    add stuff that makes the stick even better than before. be imaginative and creative. using transparency windows is bad because you are only focused on the detail thats made for you instead of adding detail. if you copy and make your own details, thats just a start.
    make your own sticks and dont be cheap and be creative!

click my sig pic for curtesy

Re: The Nubs Guide To Stickmaking

loads of poeple sue transparent windows, theres nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wereZ
    Yes there is. It's morally wrong and unclean.
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Highly
    It makes the job easier and you get results faster.
    Imo, only the outcome matters, i dont give a shit how the animation is done, as long as its enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snigge
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly
    It makes the job easier and you get results faster.
    Imo, only the outcome matters, i dont give a shit how the animation is done, as long as its enjoyable to watch.

KRZ

alot of the DD members go to droidz...
    the owner used to be a super active member here...
    most of the droidz sticks are submitted by people from Dark Demon
    [center:3bfbn9pe][/center:3bfbn9pe]

OK! my point is what skill do you achieve using a transparency? its like a coloring book, you just filled it in with the colors you want, you didnt make the picture.

Enthusiast

The point is...

Sorry.. I got distracted on how gay your avatar/picture is.
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1208105453.png[/img]
    My Animations | Forum Rules| Tutorials | DD Collab

I use Transparent Windows. Does that mean my sticks are shit?

They are just as awesome to use, whether I used a transparent windows tool or not, and if anything, it made the sticks a lot nicer.

OH HEY GUYS, LETS ALL MAKE PHOTOSHOP CREATIONS WITHOUT EVER LOOKING AT A TUTORIAL. Sure they'll be shit but at least they are our true talent.
    Oh wait, no one would care because they would be pretty bad.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Probably more than half of the weapons on droidz were made using transparent windows, and you said yourself, those stks are good, so why is transparency bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast