Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Colin's Pivot Tutorial

Colin’s Pivot Tutorial

Contents

1. Introduction
    1a. Pivot Beta 3 or 2.2.5?
    1b. Vocabulary
    1c. Ideas
    1d. Controls

2. Basics
    2a. Spacing Frames
    2b. Backgrounds
    2c. Sticks

3. Improving
    3a. Planning
    3b. Skill Level
    3c. Your Style

4. Saving Pivots
    4a. Uploading Pivots
    4b. Going Back
    4c. Outro

1. Introduction

Hello welcome to Pivot this tutorial is going to be talking about the great things to do with pivot and the exploration of this fun unique program. We will be talking about everything you need to be at least a beginner of this program.

1a. Pivot Beta 3 or 2.2.5?

I will list the pro’s and con’s about each one although Pivot Beta 3 has very little con’s so lets start off with Pivot Beta 2.2.5.
    • This Program is a lot less glitchy then Pivot beta 3.
    • You can’t upload more then one background.
    • You can’t always use sticks from http://www.droidz.org/ and upload then into Pivot Beta 2.2.5.
    Pivot Beta 3
    • I have heard people talking about this Beta and people say that it has a lot more glitches then Pivot Beta 3 for example: when shrinking a stick if u get too small like 20’s or 10’s it make little red trails until you drop the stick.
    You can upload Sprites like your own images from paint into a stick.
    • Also it has better GIF format saving files then 2.2.5.

1b. Vocabulary

• Easing: This means the image is starting out at a slow momentum then slowly builds up into a powerful punch for example.
    • Stiffness: pretty much says that when frames looks really stiff and doesn’t have good quality sometimes people upload Pivot Animations into a unknown uploader and uploads crappy quality.
    • Fading: This is when the image fades away or fades into another side of the screen.
    • Transparency: Transparency is meaning that the image or object fades away into a pattern like stripes, X’s, etc.
    • Physics: Physics is what looks true to the human eye the gravity of the animation must seem real unless the background explains to be the moon or another planet. If the title of an animation is called 200% gravity maybe all the sticks are walking around hunched over. Slow motion is a great way to mess with physics.
    • Choppyness: this is when the frames of an animation don’t look good quality that means if someone made a person walking across the screen and was only 5 frames then it will be very choppy. Example: 100 frames for a walk would be very detailed. 5 frames for a walk would be very choppy.

1c. Ideas

Getting ideas might be a hard task for all of us at one time in our animations but the most important thing to remember is every day life what people do what some dreams you have had etc. The best ideas come from anyone that has a good imagination and the more you think about an animation the better it might be.

One of the most simple animations to start off with is the walk.

1d. Controls

This is a screen shot of Pivot Beta 3 I will name all of the controls for this program.

• Play: play the animation in all the frames that are made.
    • Stop: stop the animation from playing.
    • Repeat: repeat the frames until otherwise.
    • Scroll Bar 12: How many frames per second.
    • White Back: what backgrounds you wish to load into the frame/frames.
    • Stickman: what object/stick you wish to load into the frame/frames.
    • Delete: delete the selected object/stick.
    • Center: center the object/stick to the exact center of the screen.
    • Colour: change the color of the object or stick selected.
    • Front: change the object/ stick to the front of another stick/ object.
    • Back: change the object/ stick to the back of another stick/ object.
    • 1-100000: what size you want the object/stick selected.
    • Flip: flip the object/ stick to the reflection of what its at.
    • Edit: edit the selected stick/ object into your own likings.

2. Basics

The basic skill level for anyone that starts out would be a beginner, beginners usually try to work on stiffness and easing those are the 2 most important things in a beginners animations. The higher rank you get the better and more you will have to work on but once you’ve reached a certain limit you will excel for as long as you use Pivot and have fun with this amazing free program.

2a. Spacing Frames

This paragraph is explaining a very easy skill how and when to space frames spacing frames is probably the most important thing in an animator’s life. Spacing frames pretty much means the starting image starts to raise his left hand and u just make it go straight up without any easing then it has Choppyness to it. Once you have the perfect amount of frame spacing in an animation it will make the animation 10x better.

2b. Backgrounds

Backgrounds are the scene what makes up the mood of who’s watching the animation it determines what there animation will be like the best animators make up all there own stuff including the background, the objects, there sticks, and many more. All you need to make a background is Paint. Paint is the lowest program to use the better programs are including many Adobe Paint programs and even Graphic Design programs but Paint is the easiest of them all you have to do is make a background that looks like it would go with the scene.

2c. Sticks

The most unique object in Pivot sticks such a simple object and so easy to use. Sticks are found everywhere on the internet in daily life even in your room. All you have to do is look around and you’ll find some type of stick that you can use in an animation. The simplest stick would be a line so simple just makes a couple joints and there you have a stick. Simple sticks can be the funnest and most interesting in your animation be sure to credit the people that made the stick if you aren’t the one that made it.

3. Improving

Improving is the whole goal in an animator’s life. To improve you have to be using Pivot often if you take like a couple months break you might forget some stuff that you need to remember and might go down which you don’t want. So all you have to do is these three simple steps.
    1. Use Pivot once a day or every other day even if just a fun little steaming turd.
    2. Make sure you work on what you think your peers say you should work on. Easing, stiffness, etc.
    3. Look at other people animations to get some ideas and think of your own to make better or make different to have a peer that is a great Pivot animator is the best person to have for Pivot then you can ask him questions about what you should do.

3a. Planning

This is a very simple tool to have in your brain planning is the most important thing in your animation because if you have no planning your frames may be going different ways and weird motions that should of went somewhere else. So the first thing you should think about in an animation is just the simple common sense tool in your brain Planning.

3b. Skill Level

Your skill level usually is determined by Easing, Stiffness, Choppyness, and Fading. To get higher those are the 4 parts in animations that you should always be working on then once you’ve mastered those you should work on Transparency alot like Fading, and Physics. Your skill level can be raised by a higher rank person that has seen your work and says that you definitely aren’t no low beginner no more you should be raised.

3c. Your Style

Your style is determined on how you use your sticks and backgrounds. My personal style is I always use my own sticks and my personal stick is a guy I made that is orange that’s just my personal color In most of my animations. Other peoples style is there name most people put there name somewhere in there animation to show who made it.

4. Saving Pivots

Saving Pivots to upload is a simple step.
    1. Save you animation into GIF file format.
    2. Make sure your animation saved before closing animation.
    3. Save another copy in PIV format unless otherwise.

4a. Upload Pivots

Most people know a simple task in showing there animations or screenshots by using the following...
    http://www.imageshack.us/
    http://dump.stoleyour.net/
    http://animatorhost.com/
    http://www.droidz.org/donate.php
    These are some simple websites that you can upload your animations or images in.

4b. Going Back

This is the one step you don’t want to miss in an animation because if you have to go back into the animation and fix a couple frames it might mess up the rest of them so you have to be slow in the frames if not then you will have to go back every time you make an animation which is the worst thing to do in an animators life. So the slower you go the better it might look. So be sure not to make big mistakes or you might have to start all over.

4c. Outro

This is just saying a description of where you can find me. Hi my name is Colin I’ve been making a tutorial for my website and would like to pronounce this to 2 of the top sites.

http://www.darkdemon.org/
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/ColinSoftwaresInc

You can reach me at those 2 sites if any more information please contact me at saladfingers666@live.com I am on the computer at least once a day to check my mail and work on Pivots. Hope you guys enjoy my tutorial.

Banned

Re: Colin's Pivot Tutorial

Most of the stuff you posted is already known, as it is in a range of other tutorials >_>

And I'm pretty sure that the link you posted to your free forum site is against the rules.

Well sorry to hear that DarkerDemon had some great comments on it and allowed that and also he said other admins enjoyed my tutorial.

like sway said this stuff is already posted but if someone just started and looked at this it would help them a lot