Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Cronos Running Tutorial

[center:2gees4o8]This is going to be a short tutorial on running. I will show you images of the frames, frame by frame so you can get an idea of the spacing and poses.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248373629.png[/img]

Frame One: The stick is just coming into the frame. The stick is in about the 3-4 stance in the run cycle. His next stance is one frame before the kick off.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248373704.png[/img]

Frame Two: The stick brought its leg up, and crossed it behind the planted one. Notice the positions of the legs. The back arm rises at about a 90 degree angle, while the front arm is slightly more extended than it was last frame. Keep the head level to the onion skin for the best outcome. This means the back will not move much throughout, which is a strong point in a proper run.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248373986.png[/img]

Frame Three: The stick pushed off the ground, and is about to take the main step of the run cycle. Notice his back leg is nearly fully extended, which is not absolutely necessary. The back foot is angled to show he pushed off the ground. The back arm rises a bit more, and his forearm comes out a bit. The front arm now bends, and is brought up. The head is not completely level to the onion skin, but it's close enough.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248374204.png[/img]

Frame Four: In frame four, the stick is now in the main pose of the running cycle. His front leg is extended and his heel can either be slightly above the ground, or slightly touching it. His femur rises a bit, and his calf is brought up higher because the kick off. The back arm has risen a bit more, and is now being pulled in, forearm first. The front arm is in nearly the same position, but brought down a bit, and the forearm is pulled in the slightest bit.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248374590.png[/img]

Frame Five: The stick is now landing on the extending leg, causing it to bend, obviously. The back leg is being pulled in to be thrust forward in a few frames. The back arm is finally being lowered, and is still being pulled in to make the crossover. The front arm is being pulled in, and slightly down.

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248374861.png[/img]

Frame Six: Frame six is about the same as frame one, only totally in frame. You can now see the pose much better. The front leg is being leaned on, while the back is still being pulled in. The arms are crossing over, and are just about in the same position.

The rest of the frames are just repeats of the ones above. Only, to give the run more personality, put the limbs in slightly different positions, or perhaps speed the stick up by doing less poses.

Things To Notice:
    The back arms position may look a bit awkward, but in the finished product, it looks really good. It makes the crossover of the arms easier to see, and gives a nice fresh look to the run.

The back doesn't move much at all, but I think that looks better.

The spacing is the same throughout, or very, very close. This is because the sticks momentum is static throughout, unless you speed him up at some point.

The Finished Product:

[img]http://**********.com/img/1248375270.gif[/img]
    Your finished product should look something like this

Thanks for reading, and I hoped this help. If you need me to add the last of the frames, rather than tell you to refer to the ones above again, comment here telling me; and I will.

credits to TRGG for the stick[/center:2gees4o8]
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Dedicated Member

Re: Cronos Running Tutorial

the finished product... is it supposed to be a still image, or is it supposed to be an animation?

Other than that, that was a nice tut, nice short and sweet, you should do more tuts
    [center:nxtl4qxs]Once You Have Finished Reading This Sentence And Looking At The Pretty Colours, You Will Realise, And Come To Understand, That You Have Just Wasted Valuable Seconds Of Your Life ~ Isaac100000

[center]InGen - Gabes Forum[/center:nxtl4qxs]

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent
    Thanks Crono, this really helped me. Could you possibly add a download link to the finished product or TRGG's base stick?

I'm not one to give out other peoples sticks and shit, but seeing as everyone has that stick, why not:
    *removed for my own reasons*

Please don't just frame copy it guys, read the tutorial, observe this piv file and try on your own

and fallenhunter, it's a GIF, not a still-image

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crono
    and fallenhunter, it's a GIF, not a still-image
    yea just noticed, when it loaded the page the first time it never fully loaded the gif, and just showed the last frame sorry
    [center:nxtl4qxs]Once You Have Finished Reading This Sentence And Looking At The Pretty Colours, You Will Realise, And Come To Understand, That You Have Just Wasted Valuable Seconds Of Your Life ~ Isaac100000

[center]InGen - Gabes Forum[/center:nxtl4qxs]

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent
    Alright, I got the selected frames done like this:

Can you post the other frames? I tried repeating, but got mixed up. Also, this is my first animation :3 Good?

I don't see why me posting the other frames is necessary now that I have released the pivot file

but I will get around to adding them, eventually

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Excellent tutorial, this is exactly how I do my running, except mine are longer in frame count.

One thing I noticed is that in a sprint, between frames 3 and 4, the knee will come up even more and the rest of the leg is extended more.

(pardon the bad example, I'm on a mac right now)
    The body is naturally higher up during a sprint as well, so the planted leg (the one on the ground) is fully extended in frame 5.

I'll make a better example when I get home.
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Veteran Enthusiast ULTRA1337piv0tz's Avatar

Hey, thats exactly what ive been doing with the legs forever haha. great tutorial, i dont like his back arm though, looks too high.
    Steam: xendlessnl

Thank you Crono, whenever I make a run they don't look right.
    [centerlooshnx]
    -[Youtube Channel]-[/centerlooshnx]

Wow! Nice tut Crono, I always wanted to know how you do your style of running and now I do. It is your style right?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Anyhoo here is what I made out of it.

Thread worthy???

Anyhoo thanks.

(Mai guy runs really slowly, it's just him. )
    [center:1h4aebo3]
    You want to know the difference.. between a weak burger, and a burger that has STRENGTH?
    [/center:1h4aebo3]

Enthusiast

He was a young boy in pursuit of money and fame..

YES! Finally, a good running tutorial. Lately, I've been working my ass off to make a good running like you always do.
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1248415229.gif[/img]
    What you think?
    I feel more comfortable with my base.
    [center:10ra76zf][/center:10ra76zf]

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast