Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Presentation: Improving Pivot

Re: Presentation: Improving Pivot

If you use Pivot 3 to export your animations, you can export them in BIGGER dimensions to the ones you started with, and have the lines look super smooth :3 I don't use Pivot 3 for animating because the editing system is retarded, it automatically saves changes without your consent. I animate by adding a frame and THEN moving shit. In Pivot 2, it's like having an undo button. I can save changes to the frame by clicking 'next frame' and then re-clicking on it. But if I make a big mistake, I can revert back to the last 'save' by re-clicking the frame. In Pivot 3, you can't do this. That's why I never use it for animating. But enough of that, onto the topic of Flash VS Pivot :0

I like Pivot because it is simple. There is nothing I love more than using a simple tool, and pushing it far, far beyond the capabilities it was originally intended for. Being able to push limits like this gives me such a sense of achievement, which is something I love about Pivot. It allows me to do what I love to do. I have been trying to move on to Flash, merely for the sake of higher quality animations, but I've hit some obsticles..

In Flash, the line tool is annoying to use. So far I've been unable to find any option that will allow me to keep the lines the same length when I want to, so my stick dimensions don't get way off. Also, if I cross a lone over the top of another one, they glue themselves together and I get a jumbled mess. I'm sure I could fix this somehow.. but meh :/

Pivot offers a precision to animating that is nearly impossible to replicate in flash. If you ever look at an intense fighting move frame-by-frame in Flash (I've seen this in SHOCK 3), you'll notice that the movements are INCREDIBLY shaky, that the spacing is haphazard, and that the poses look awkward. Yet when you watch the animation it looks great. This only seems to work in animations made with the Brush Tool, as the lines aren't completely straight and even shaped, you can't really tell if the angle has changed funny or not.

The Good thing about Pivot is that when you make an error, you can really see it, and it's obvious. The anti-aliasing is excellent for precision, pixel by pixel movements. I find myself calculating and using maths to figure out my spacing sometimes. I don't really see this happening in Flash, at least not with my animating.

Yet somehow, the Flash Community is still booming. Their 'Elite' animators aren't getting lazy, they are still producing a lot of stuff at a fast rate. I believe this is because they have a portal. They don't rely on ranks, you can find out whether or not you are the best by seeing how many of your animations are the most 'popular'. If we had a portal to replace ranks, Lazy-Elite syndrome might just be defeated... maybe :0

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Throne
    So far I've been unable to find any option that will allow me to keep the lines the same length when I want to, so my stick dimensions don't get way off. Also, if I cross a lone over the top of another one, they glue themselves together and I get a jumbled mess. I'm sure I could fix this somehow.. but meh :/
    To ensure everything is the same size, you can use rulers (view > rulers, or ctrl+alt+shift+r). Click anywhere on the horizontal or vertical rulers that appear on the workspace and drag onto the stage to create rulers. Click and drag them back beyond the rulers to remove them, once you're done. You can also use the align window (ctrl+k), and the match size functions to match height/width for horizontal/vertical lines.

The line crossover/jumbled mess thing is probably because you're using the brush tool. There is a difference between artwork and movie clips/graphics/buttons in flash. Brush strokes will merge with each other, movie clips won't. As long as you use the line tool you should be fine for this. I would look up how movie clips work.

Pivot offers a precision to animating that is nearly impossible to replicate in flash.
    By using registration points, movie clips and layers correctly, and hitting Q (free transform tool) every time you want to rotate a "segment" (equivalent of a movie clip in Flash), you find that 1% of the functionality of Flash offered everything Pivot is capable of.

The Good thing about Pivot is that when you make an error, you can really see it, and it's obvious.
    That's not a good thing.

The anti-aliasing is excellent for precision, pixel by pixel movements. I find myself calculating and using maths to figure out my spacing sometimes. I don't really see this happening in Flash
    There is no need for time consuming calculations. Flash can do it for you, if only people would use the tools they're given.

But this isn't a Flash vs Pivot debate, it's common knowledge Flash is superior. I just wanted to point out some things you were mistaken on.

My point is that other programs can and SHOULD be used to enhance animation created in pivot. The area of animation pivot excels in is "kinematics", i.e. the movement of objects. I reckon pivot should be used only for that. Other programs should be used to add the eye candy, special effects, etc. Example: we have "lightning" tutorials that have been submitted in the past. Flash CS5 has a tool called the deco tool. A preset of this tool is called "lightning". By importing the .gif of your animation and using the deco tool's lightning preset wherever the lightning effect is appropriate, hey presto, you made a 5 hour long job take 30 seconds.

Edit: in a broader sense this opens the community to people with interest in other creative programs, that make use of the .gifs pivot animators produce, so that they can add sound effects, visual effects, etc. Suddenly, not everyone in a pivot community needs to be an animator, and not every animator needs to have access to/know how to use 3rd party programs.
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    The Good thing about Pivot is that when you make an error, you can really see it, and it's obvious.
    That's not a good thing.
    Yes, it is. Not for large projects and full movies, but when you're practicing and testing out stuff, being able to spot the errors is definitely useful.
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Kroyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lympha
    , if you have a 10.1" monitor like me.
    what the hell? a 10.1 inch monitor why the hell are you using a '90's monitor like Darren said we're in the generation that's far advance to what pivot was initially made for by what specs were available. It's been a good 10 years(rough estimate) that pivot has been out. In those 10 years we've gone from 10.1 inch monitors to 24 inch monitors.
    Shut the hell up. Not everybody can afford a bigger and better monitor.
    And I'm not really interested in animating anymore, since I haven't gone up from medium beginner for 1 and a half year, but this might be a good idea. It's a pain in the fucking ass to animate at bigger dimensions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    That's not a good thing.
    Yes, it is. Not for large projects and full movies, but when you're practicing and testing out stuff, being able to spot the errors is definitely useful.
    If the animator (the person who watches his own animation potentially hundreds of times before completion) can't see the error, what hope does a casual viewer have?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Shut the hell up. Not everybody can afford a bigger and better monitor..
    This goes back to my point about uploading all your stuff to youtube. A 1280x720 or bigger animation can be watched in 360p or 480p by people watching on netbooks and the like. I think people have "dimensions" and "resolution" confused lol. Bigger dimensions give us the option of bigger resolution. Smaller dimensions mean we're stuck with low resolution.

Enthusiast

Are you guys debating as to which program Is superior or better preference wise? I sure hope It's the latter because there Is no way In hell pivot Is a superior program. I respect your points Oblivion, but things such as stick consistency and line tool flaws can all be mastered with time. Endo Is a great example of this.

The flash community will always be booming. With Terkoiz, Stone, Endo, Hyun, Jomm, Miccool and an endless array of animators whos talent knows no limits there's no sign of said community ever slowing down In the near future, or rather even the long run. As there's one very Important thing the pivot community lacks, and that's creativity. There have been very few moments where I've watched a pivot animation and acknowledged It for It's creativity. I have Indeed acknowledged the precision we can achieve movements wise, but little more than that.

Dancing with the devil and Into the jungle are In the small minority of animations that Inspire me In aspects other than movements.

Edit: And anything by Giffgiff ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker
    Are you guys debating as to which program Is superior or better preference wise?
    No. The point of the thread is to encourage people to use other programs to enhance their animations. Not just Flash. I think Dead Throne might have got the impression this was a Flash vs Pivot thing. It is not.

@Darren
    I was actually talking to Kroyo for the part when he said "why the hell are you using a '90's monitor "
    I understand the youtube thingy.

Personally I agree with him. Working hard to get through the ranks is okay for a while but it soon gets boring. Working your ass off and then seeing your animation top of the portal, most plays, highest rating, most comments. The feeling would be awesome- it would sure as hell make me want to start again. It's another dynamic to the community.

I know this is not really on topic, but I used the line tool in Flash here with no problem: http://www.truploader.com/view/201639 (unfinished, rough, unedited, don't juuuddgee)
    And here: http://www.truploader.com/view/663381 (same story)
    Just as clean as Pivot and not much slower or less accurate to animate with.

As I have said, I completely agree. I get the impression many members are stubborn and unwilling to experiment. I don't have a problem with the white-background-black-stickfigure style (I'm as guilty as anyone), but I'd agree if it were said that their is a general lack of creativity on the forum. Combining Pivot with other software and a portal or something similar would allow for greater creativity and likely increase inspiration (and thus creativity). I don't animate much in Pivot anymore, but when I do I animate in dimensions that allow for greater resolutions. I also never save my .gifs at half size. I use the tags.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast