Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Presentation: Improving Pivot

Presentation: Improving Pivot

This is a humble plea from someone who used to be an animator just like you guys, way back in 2004.

A little backstory: I started animating in 2004, and stopped in 2006. 8 years later, I have learned a horrible truth that was never apparent to me as someone inebriated into this community: our presentation sucks. From people outside the community (people who have never seen pivot animations before and have no concept of the time/effort involved), the most common complaint I hear about pivot animations is how rough they look, but more often how small they are, in terms of dimensions. No one wants to squint at an animation that already looks rough. I apologise in advance if this post is something that has been discussed already; I have been out of the loop for 6 years, but from what I can tell, not much has changed!

So, what can we do to improve our presentation? Well, I have three main ideas. Firstly, and the easiest: work in bigger dimensions. Ensure every frame you work in has an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a resolution of at least 720p (i.e. 1280x720). This aspect ratio will be important in the next step. Export your animations at full size EVERY TIME. Everyone hates the pixellated edges, but nowadays, with the increased availability of huge monitors (1920x1080 and above), the default dimensions of 506x415 are ridiculously small. Not only that, but animators are encouraged to srhink their .gifs by 2, or even 3. A 169x138 .gif sitting in a 2560x1600 (mac) monitor is laughable. Your viewers will have to squint to find it. So, 1280x720 should be considered a minimum.

Secondly, everyone should make a youtube account and post their stuff on there. Subscribe to each other and make the Pivot "scene" more popular. More people will be attracted to the site, which will mean a bigger talent pool, which means a higher overall standard of animation. Remember the bit about making animations have 16:9 aspect ratios? This makes it perfect for uploading to youtube, and gives your viewers a 720p option.

Finally, become familiar with 3rd party programs to enhance your animations. The adobe master collection is as good as anything when it comes to editing .gifs, especially after effects. This program can be used to add colour, shading, correct speed, high resolution text, lighting, you name it, to a completed animation. It is quite complex to use, but there are a wealth of tutorials online/on youtube. If nothing else, you can add simple filters to improve the pixellated feel of a .gif exported at its original size. After effects is of course not the only solution. There are hundreds of others, all a deft googling away.

Why did I write this? Of all people, I think I am the most qualified to present the perspective of an outsider, as someone who was once waist-deep in hours of painstakingly slow animation, but is now looking at the work you guys do as someone who has been out of the loop so long as to be impartial again. You are all extremely talented, and deserve far, fucking FAR more recognition, but are bottlenecked by the awful tool you limit yourselves to, and your presentation. Bigger is better.

- Darren
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Raf

Re: Presentation: Improving Pivot

I agree, reminds me a lot of the sigmaking scene(at least in my opinion), where it tends to be hard to be taken seriously as an artist by people that are not into it, since they are just small images most of the time. I know that the size of signatures is what makes them different from other forms of digital art, so this may not be the best comparison, but yeah good idea
    rPolarBear likes this.

Couldn't agree more.

P2k

I agree that pivot has lost it's touch recently. Meanwhile, the flash stick animation community has been BOOMING. They have thousands of amazing animators now, much more animators at a level we'd call 'veteran' or 'elite', and it's because of how much more open the program is.

I prefer flash. I started to find pivot difficult to work with after using flash for too long. It's too limited. The animations appear worse.

I think it's a good practice tool, it helps you with the fundamentals. It helps you build a base before moving on to something more advanced. You can't cover up your lack of talent with loopholes, fancy cameras, or fancy effects. I think it hardens you up. When I moved on to flash I found it ridiculously easy - I was even BETTER at flash than I was at Pivot. Amazing.

I do think it would be really cool if everyone put more effort in to making their pivot animations look less rough, to look more professional. Unfortunately, I think the program is still too limited, even after using 3rd party programs to touch it up, to really give it that professional look.

I feel that Pivot has become more of a novelty. I still animate with Pivot once every year or so because it brings back memories. I do it for the community, not for the fame. I enjoy the small community. If I wanted to bring more attention to myself I'd be animating more stick animations on flash and bridging my talent over to those communities.

Pivot just has a little place in my heart, and I think the reason everyone still uses the bare minimum, the reason people still make 'rough' little animations, is because they feel the same way. They don't want change. People STILL refuse to use Pivot 3.0. It's undeniably better, always has been. People STILL refuse to use the newer Stykz program, so it isn't only that they can't afford a better program than Pivot - Stykz is free and much more limitless than Pivot.

People make their crappy little Pivot animations with all of these limiting tools because they enjoy it, they enjoy the community, they don't care what anyone outside thinks, and they don't want it to change.

I really enjoyed your post, and I'm sorry for such a long one from myself. The other day I joked about how funny it would be for you to make a return in a DDC out of the blue after so long of not animating. I do think it would be interesting for the Pivot community to boom. Unfortunately the program we're using is far too limiting, and the community that has it isn't very open to change.

Let's see where we head from here.

edit: I have showed mine and several other animations from animators I thought were very talented, as well as DDCs to numerous friends. A lot of them were actually very impressed. They were impressed more so by flash animations, but it does show that a well made Pivot animation can be nice on the eye and entertaining to people outside of the community.

The more I think about it the more I think recognition may not be so bad. We just need more work ethic, more collabs, more community involvement. Again, can't wait to see which direction we head in.
    -

Enthusiast

^ This is a good point. The animation community is changing and I feel like the pivot community needs to branch off a little more.

There are two major problems with this too, if you don't re-size your animation, the edges won't come out nearly as smooth as they are intended to be, (also, if you made use of a transparent .STK the effects goes away partly), further, this might just be a personal problem, together with just a few others animators, but it's kinda hard to animate at 720p, if you have a 10.1" monitor like me.
    Just thought I'd give my two cents on this, overall I fully agree though. Good job, Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Lympha
    , if you have a 10.1" monitor like me.
    what the hell? a 10.1 inch monitor why the hell are you using a '90's monitor like Darren said we're in the generation that's far advance to what pivot was initially made for by what specs were available. It's been a good 10 years(rough estimate) that pivot has been out. In those 10 years we've gone from 10.1 inch monitors to 24 inch monitors. Though the whole pixelated feel still is there whether I up the size or not.
    ex:

specs: 1280x720

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

There might still be a pixel feel, but it's a lot less than without re-sizing. And I actually have a mini-notebook.

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by P2k
    I prefer flash. I started to find pivot difficult to work with after using flash for too long. It's too limited. The animations appear worse.
    Whilst I agree Flash is the superior animating program; I'll argue on the quality of stick animation, I've seen stick animations made in Pivot that outclass Flash pretty easily, the Inters joint feature some outright amazing animations, and our latest DDC will most likely be just as mind-blowing.

Flash is brilliant; but using it to animate stickfigures is like buying a ferrari and driving it everywhere in first gear.

I'll agree with you that Pivot is an excellent starting program

Biggest dimension is best dimension.

i love coffee because nothing wakes me up better than scalding the inside of my face and the urge to violently shit myself

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast