Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Enthusiast

setting up wireless internet connection

yep im setting up wireless internet and im lost. I have a computer up stairs and i want to to connect to the basement wirelessly because the modem is up stairs i have the box and its set up but i dont know what to do from here
    credz to: TSU, Jon, frozen fire and sir wojak (PM me if i use your stks
    <3 List
    Tsuchinoko
    flamingwolf

I could help you, but first is the host computer using a router? (which one)
    And do u have already the wireless network adapter? Id recommend you to get the adapter from the same vendor that you bought the router, I mean, if you bought a linksys router then its preferable that you get a linkys network adapter

Enthusiast
    well the host computer is up stairs and it's set up through the modem and i have a lynksys wireless broadband router
    credz to: TSU, Jon, frozen fire and sir wojak (PM me if i use your stks
    <3 List
    Tsuchinoko
    flamingwolf

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

Here's some simple steps on how to set it up. Don't live by these. I'm just giving a rough outline of the process. There might be additional steps (reset the router when you first connect, I dunno, stuff like that) that I haven't mentioned. I'm also assuming your on Windows XP.

1. Plug in your router. Do this by taking the cable that's plugged into your computer from your modem, and instead plugging it into the router. There should be 5 or 6 Ethernet ports near each other, and one that's separated. Plug it in the separated port. This is the line that will connect your modem to your router so it can connect to the internet. You should've gotten another Ethernet cable with your router. Plug that into one of those 5 or 6 ports, and plug the other end into your computer nearby. This will connect that computer to the internet manually, without any wireless signal.

2. Install software. This part is really wide-open. On that computer near the router, pop in the CD you got and follow the instruction manual. You'll probably have to install some drivers, then go to your online router setup page thing to make it work. The manual with the router should give you steps for this.

3. Connect a second computer. Your router should now be operational, but is useless. You seem to not have an adapter for your other computer. That is a device you plug into a computer without an internet cable in it, and then the device will pick up the wireless signal and connect for you. Just go to a local electronics store and ask for one. They'll know what you mean. You have a few choices, depending on how much work you want to do.

You could be lazy like me and get a USB adapter. It's pretty much a USB Key looking thing that you plug into a USB slot on your computer. No hassle with opening up your computer, so it' good if you don't want to do a lot of work.

Your other choice would be to get a PCI card. This is a bit more complex. Rather than plugging into your USB port, this big thing will stick into your computer itself, so it won't protrude out of your computer like a USB stick would. The downside is that it takes a bit more work with your computer to get it in than it does with a USB one.

I use a USB one, and I've never installed a PCI one myself. So these instructions are as if you bought a USB adapter, and just plugged it into your computer.

4. Install software. If you plug in a USB device, Windows will probably go crazy saying "WE HAVE DRIVERS FOR THAT LETS INSTALL THEM." Any message from windows that pops up should be cancelled, it won't help you at all. It'll say negative things like it failed to install the device, but don't worry.

The adapter came with a CD. Pop that in and run it. Install the drivers and you're ready to go. There should be a icon on your taskbar that looks like a computer with a red X next to it. Right click on that and select "View Available Wireless Networks". Then, just select the router you just set up and click Connect. Give it a few seconds and voila, you've got internet.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

As I said before, If your router is linkys you should try to buy a linksys network adapter.
    Also, when configurating your router, the default ip for accessing to it will be 192.168.1.1 (you must type that IP in your adress bar in firefox/IE/etc Also it will ask you for an account and a password, the leave the account blank and in the password type "admin" NOTE: thats the default configuration of almost all the routers, so you can change that after accessing to it. You should also protect it with another password when you are going to establish a connection with it, because there is a probability that some other guy with a computer in your local area will try to steal your connection. And thats pretty much all of it. If you need anything else you can pm me if you want.