Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Xbox Live

Devoted Veteran

Xbox Live

Okay, confused.
    I know there have been a few topics like this, but this is different.

Okay, so I have my Xbox 360 upstairs in my room and I want Xbox live. But my Router is downstairs and there is no way I can get an ethernet cable that long.
    So I wondered if I could just connect to Xbox live by putting the ethernet cable from my laptop, which is connected to the router downstairs, to my Xbox. So if anyone could vrify if that works, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, is there any other way I can do this without having to buy another, separate router?

Also, I have a VGA cable, but when I plug it into my PC and set it up, there is no sound..
    And when I try to hook it up to my Laptop, nothing happens at all. I am still on the Internet and my screen doesn't change.

So if anyone can help with any of these problems, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please.

Thanks.

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I don't know about the laptop thing, but apparently it's possible with a PS2. http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/62/

If that doesn't work, I think you're out of luck. You could always just buy a wireless adapter for the 360 though.

As for the VGA thing...

The VGA adapter is for video. If you look at the official Xbox HD adapter, you'll see that the VGA connector only takes the place of the 3 video cables, because VGA isn't capable of transmitting sound. So you'll need to plug in the sound cables (red and white striped) into something that makes sound.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I don't know about the laptop thing, but apparently it's possible with a PS2. http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/62/

If that doesn't work, I think you're out of luck. You could always just buy a wireless adapter for the 360 though.

As for the VGA thing...

The VGA adapter is for video. If you look at the official Xbox HD adapter, you'll see that the VGA connector only takes the place of the 3 video cables, because VGA isn't capable of transmitting sound. So you'll need to plug in the sound cables (red and white striped) into something that makes sound.
    I'm not 100% certain on what you said there.
    I tried it again downstairs, no dice.
    The VGA cable has the Right and White things, the thing that plugs into your monitor, and the thing that goes into the back of your Xbox, is that it? Because that's all I have.

So take out my normal lead, plug in the VGA one and then proceed to plug it into the monitor and my speakers, still nothing. The picture comes up perfect, but there is no sound.

My speaker set up isn't just two basic speakers though, it has a box which controls the volume and bass, and that links up to two speakers, which have no empty sockets in them at all. So I'm assuming I put these red and white cables into the main box? That's what I did, nothing.

After that I put my Ethernet cable into the back of my Xbox to see if I could at least connect to Xbox Live, nope. It's in both my Xbox and my Router but it doesn't work. I start trying to connect, but the I.P address fails. So, I'm stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Smore

As for the VGA thing...

I'm not 100% certain on what you said there.
    I tried it again downstairs, no dice.
    The VGA cable has the Right and White things, the thing that plugs into your monitor, and the thing that goes into the back of your Xbox, is that it? Because that's all I have.

So take out my normal lead, plug in the VGA one and then proceed to plug it into the monitor and my speakers, still nothing. The picture comes up perfect, but there is no sound.

My speaker set up isn't just two basic speakers though, it has a box which controls the volume and bass, and that links up to two speakers, which have no empty sockets in them at all. So I'm assuming I put these red and white cables into the main box? That's what I did, nothing.

After that I put my Ethernet cable into the back of my Xbox to see if I could at least connect to Xbox Live, nope. It's in both my Xbox and my Router but it doesn't work. I start trying to connect, but the I.P address fails. So, I'm stuck.
    If you have a receiver for the sound (the box) it'll be a bit more complex. I don't think I know how to fix your sound problem.

As for the sound, I'm confused by your description as much as you were by mine <_<

So currently, you have a wireless router transmitting to a laptop, which is physically connected to your xbox? If that's the case, the IP address will fail because it'll be assigned the same IP address as the laptop. Multiple devices with the same IP addresses = no connection. If you bought a wireless adapter for the 360, the router would say "New Device! I'll give it a new IP!", but now it just sees the laptop and ignores the 360.

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends

Devoted Veteran

So simply put, I need that wireless adapter?

Yea, That wireless adapter will make things a hell of a lot easier.
    ------------------------------------
    ŇŦ

----^ Click For Courtesy----Sig is made by Me. ^_^

It is. The general point is, you could turn your laptop into a bridge that connects the 360, but it would be quite a bit of work. You'd be better off just coughing up some cash.

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends

It is. The general point is, you could turn your laptop into a bridge that connects the 360, but it would be quite a bit of work. You'd be better off just coughing up some cash.
    Not to mention the high chance of lag.

Devoted Veteran

Ah, ok. 'Lcock' then =P

That's right Fraz!

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Smore
    Ah, ok. 'Lcock' then =P

That's right Fraz!
    LCOCKED.

: D
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]