Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Ubuntu help

Ubuntu help

Whenever I try to install it through the live cd they sent me it always has an error and now I cant boot through windows. How do I finish the instalation

..Why not provide alittle more information, i.e whats the error message.

Here is what the error message says. The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

If you can't boot Windows either, I think your hard drive may be shot. It's a pretty bold claim to say that, but I've had a similar experience. (upgrading an OS, then my hard drive just died, simple as that)

If you're booting off the Live CD, did you have to change the boot order so it'd load first? If you did, have you tried changing it to load your hard drive (Windows) first?

The error is pretty specific. Either the CD is busted or your hard drive is busted. If you can't boot Windows and the CD is fine, you're not in a good position.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Yeah the live CD is working so I guess my harddrive is busted