Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Old Newbie

question about flash

hi guys i have a question about flash, iv seen alot of differend versions of flash, some wer named flash 8 proffesional, and others were called flash mx and there were more im sure. But what i was wondering was are they all the same? or are they all different if so wich one would creat the best animations. thanks guys
    < this is why sparta shouldnt drive :|

Re: question about flash

They're different versions. CS4(or CS3 if you want) being the latest and Flash MX being very old. You might want to get Flash 8 at least, because MX doesn't support filters. Meaning you can't blur stuff unless used by a third-party program. Flash CS3 could be used if you want to get into AS 3.0. Other than that, I don't see much utility other than wasting money.

The quality of the animation depends on the user. Different versions don't make you animate better.

There are different features in each version.

Old Newbie

ok ok so flash cs4 or cs3, but whats AS 3.0.? thank you this is very helpful

Veteran Enthusiast

AS3 stands for ActionScript 3, AS is the scripting language that Flash uses, Flash 8 uses AS2, which is similar in function to AS3, but they're not compatible. CS3, the first Flash product to use AS3, can also use AS2.

Here's the difference between AS2 and AS3, I'll show you the Hello World string

AS2:
    Code:
    createTextField("greet", 0, 0, 0, 100, 100);
    greet.text = "Hello, world";
    AS3:
    Code:
    var greet:TextField = new TextField();
    greet.text = "Hello World";
    this.addChild(greet);
    The most fundamental difference between the two is they use different application programming interfaces. To be honest, AS will be of little interest to you if you want to use Flash soley for animation, except for buttons, and even then you can use Script Assist.

Old Newbie

ok im going to be using flash just for animation, so i guess cs3 is the way to go. thanks for the help every one!!!