Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

species 1 + species 2 = what?

FIRST OF ALL: i had no idea how to search this in google so it would be able to find something. please if you can thing of that; then post it and lock this. if that dosnt work then ill request unlock and continue.

So what im basically asking, is if 2 different animals mated then what would determine what trate from what animal would appear on the offspring and where?

Fanatic Enthusiast

Re: species 1 + species 2 = what?

Well it would depend, i think the animals in question would have to be closely related in order to mate (and produce viable offspring).
    After all, dogs and cats dont have babies, but dogs and wolves (sometimes) do.

The animal you are inquiring about would be called a 'hybrid'.

So i guess you could look here, but i think the traditional punnet square would choose which traits are most likely to show up.
    ?

[center:3hg7t8om]|| Short Stories || Thread ||

[tn=200:3hg7t8om]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22y6idXGM1r22qc9o3_250.gif[/tn:3hg7t8om][/center:3hg7t8om]

Quote Originally Posted by Diggz
    FIRST OF ALL: i had no idea how to search this in google so it would be able to find something. please if you can thing of that; then post it and lock this. if that dosnt work then ill request unlock and continue.

So what im basically asking, is if 2 different animals mated then what would determine what trate from what animal would appear on the offspring and where?
    [color=#40BF80]That is a rather weird question, is it for school or something?

I guess it really depends. I'm pretty sure scientists can't just pick out 'This is dominant, this is Recessive'. They have to do experiment'n'stuf.
    [center:2zgu7pep][tn=600:2zgu7pep]http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/SmashFiles/Glitter.png[/tn:2zgu7pep][/center:2zgu7pep]

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

It depends on a few things, you would have to pure breed a few of both animals to find out which traits are dominat and which are recessive. You also need to know if they are homozygous(sp?) or heterozygous(sp?) traits. There are a few more factors but that about sums it up.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingManNigel
    It depends on a few things, you would have to pure breed a few of both animals to find out which traits are dominat and which are recessive. You also need to know if they are homozygous(sp?) or heterozygous(sp?) traits. There are a few more factors but that about sums it up.
    Just pointing out, yes..you spelled heterozygous and homozygous right. But remember, not all traits are decided with Mendelian inheritance, there is still polygenic inheritance, which is like hair, skin, and eye color.

[center:3hg7t8om]|| Short Stories || Thread ||

[tn=200:3hg7t8om]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22y6idXGM1r22qc9o3_250.gif[/tn:3hg7t8om][/center:3hg7t8om]

Fanatic Enthusiast

Let's say two people mated, a mother and a father. The mother may have and blond hair color and the father a black hair color.

The father received a dominant genotype for black hair from his mother, and a recessive genotype for blond hair from his father.

The fathers black-hair Dominant genotype would be represented as "R" and the recessive blond-hair genotype as "r", together this would be "Rr"
    The wife would receive both recessive traits from her parents, so they would be represented as "rr".

So here is a Mendel graph showing what I have described to you.

[tn=300:1zfg8au6]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/unrespectfulwoman/Traits.png[/tn:1zfg8au6]

The letters in the boxes represent the offspring's phenotype, or what that trait will visually look like. If it has 1 or more dominant black-hair genotypes "R", it will have black hair; if not and it has 2 recessive blond-hair genotypes "r" it will be blond.

If this happened between two species, let's say the horse and the donkey (this cross creates the Mule), it would select dominant traits from both species and imply them into the offspring.
    Code:
    Ex. The mule is able to carry heavy loads, and has a flexible neck allowing it to see its hind legs, both dominant traits received from the donkey.

Although crosses between species often results in mutations to the DNA or the "Stop" Codon amino acid not being applied to the DNA strand for a specific trait, resulting in Cancer or other disease of the kind.