Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Password protecting a zipped folder

Okay, so my family broke their computer, so they have to use mine now, and I want to hide my stuff that I don't want them seeing, and I've been through all these different options, and a divergent list of Google links, and none will give me a correct method of password protecting a zipped folder in Windows Vista. Can anybody help me?

Re: Password protecting a zipped folder

Here's an easier way to do this.

From the Control Panel, there is a way to make multiple users for one PC. Just make them a profile and secure yours with a password. So, every time the PC is booted up, they can't access your files from their account if it's locked like that.

[center:akkfv4h7][/center:akkfv4h7]

[center:akkfv4h7]"Fuck off bitch, I've got legos to construct."[/center:akkfv4h7]

Hmm...well...Okay..

I'm not quite sure, but I believe 7-zip allows you to add a password to an archive you are creating. I don't know if it will stop someone from viewing the file, but it will stop them from opening it. You could always see if archiving an archive would allow you to stop someone from opening the .zip file containing the actual files, but I don't know if that would work or not.

I used to have a program that allowed me to lock certain folders with a password, but I can't remember the name. And if I did, I wouldn't recommend it, as it somehow deleted my folder, much to my annoyance.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Xenomorph is indeed correct, 7zip is capable of password protecting files & folders. You just need to rightclick on what you want to protect, go to the 7zip submenu and click on "add to archive".
    You don't really need to change anything except for entering the password fields:

[tn=300:3frhvn6z]http://yourimg.in/i/ihcqax7z.png[/tn:3frhvn6z]

It's a pretty secure method of encryption too.

Nour's right though, while it's not necessarily the answer you were after, password protecting your own account and creating a seperate one for your family would be far easier.