Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Improving computer performace

RAM: 4.00GB
    Process speed: 2.00 GHZ

So my comp. has been with me a year now. It's a HP laptop. I feel like it's being quite low in performance lately. So whats recommended to improve performance?

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Re: Improving computer performace

The only thing you can *easily* upgrade on a laptop is its ram, and upping just that wont really make much difference as you're already at 4GB.

Devoted Veteran

Virus protection is r8 good:

Avira
    Spybot S+D
    Ad-Aware

Give Ccleaner a download too, ftw.

And just use add/remove programs to get rid of shit you don't need anymore.

okay, well i already have a virus protection program, as my univeristy requires it, i guess i'll do a check through the programs. even thought i dont know what would be essential to keep on my comp.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Devoted Veteran

And what virus protection do you use, exactly? And you'd obviously just delete stuff you don't use or isn't essential..

I use MaCafee. I'll probably do the whole uninstalling of programs tomorrow. thiugh my comp could last two hours without pluging in. now it doesnt last eveb 45 minutes. thats a big problem with school. i'm starting to think my comp is processing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    I use MaCafee. I'll probably do the whole uninstalling of programs tomorrow. thiugh my comp could last two hours without pluging in. now it doesnt last eveb 45 minutes. thats a big problem with school. i'm starting to think my comp is processing too much.
    Well, McAffee isn't that good, I think its abit of a space hog, similar to Norton. Also use what Jack said, Avira, Spybot or Malwarebytes' and Ad-aware or just get ESET Nod32 for around about $75 for 3 years, which covers pretty much all of the above.

I do suggest removing McAffee though.

I'd suggest the free version of Avira Anti-Virus. It's small, and works great. I use it, and I've never had a problem with viruses etc.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

hmmm, i might try it...though there is another. problem. this blasted battery of mine. it's a 9 cell and i'd expect it to atleast last a couple hours on low performance setting, but it barely last me 45 minutes in class, anyone have an idea before I go out and purchase a DELL w/performance friendly componets..which is close to $1,000.00?

Ever tried defragmentation? After so much time installing and uninstalling things, your computer becomes considerably slower. Go to the hardrive partition where Windows is installed, then right-click, properties, tools tab and defrag.

Other than that, you can't really make your laptop much faster... Sell it and buy a newer one.