Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

iPod not detected in iTunes

I have a 120gb iPod classic, which was working fine alongside iTunes until I updated. I didn't restart my PC straight away and forgot I had to, and opened up iTunes and tried to sync it, where it wasn't being detected. I remembered I had forgotten to restart, so I did so and now everytime I start up iTunes a small installation window comes up that says something along the lines of "gathering required information".

I then get two errors, "The software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the iPod's software" and another asking if I want to repair it using the iTunes repair wizard.. which doesn't work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but I get yet another error: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for the install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

I've done a system restore so I can at least listen to my music fine, but I'd like to get this fixed sometime so I can sync my stuff.

So er.. halp!
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Re: iPod not detected in iTunes

Er, alright, I guess I should add a tl;dr:

iPod is detected in Window but not in iTunes. Can't reinstall or repair iTunes because I get errors.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]

Are you sure your USB cable isn't damaged in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P
    Are you sure your USB cable isn't damaged in anyway?
    If it's detected in Windows, I highly doubt his cable is damaged because if it were, it wouldn't even detect the device in Windows.

I was gonna say, what error codes are you getting, but you've given us the written out errors so:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926?viewlocale=en_US

http://zardozz.com/zz/2008/04/how-to-co ... tunes.html
    Two sites that should be of some help to you.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

h4x0r

Fuck sorry.

Anyways, have you tried resetting your iPod while it's plugged into your computer?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but I get yet another error: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for the install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"
    Not to be an ass, but read lol.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Thanks, at least I have a way of reinstalling it now, but I don't really want to lose my iTunes library. Most of my stuff is located in the same folder, but a lot of it is in multiple different folders, I've deleted some etc. It'd just be a pain to reimport everything.

So, good & thanks but I'll keep trying to find a way of fixing it before uninstalling it.

Shameless self bump!

Great!! Okay, I've gotten nowhere. I installed an update for iTunes a few days ago thinking it may fix my problem.. It didn't.

In fact, it made things a hell of a lot worse. iTunes wouldn't start at all, so now my only option is to uninstall and reinstall.. Simple? no.

Uninstalling each program that's attributed to the iTunes installation doesn't uninstall all of them completely, they leave behind a lot of crap which gives me the "there is a problem with this Windows Installer package, yadda yadda" errors, as well as some new overwriting errors. These overwriting errors are because of 1-2 folders that have some odd permission abnormalities about them. I can't take ownership or delete them, though I seem to be able to rename them (this goes for the files within the folders, or at least the files that are causing problems. I can delete the majority of files).

I have tried uninstalling everything in a certain order as many help sites have recommended, to no avail.

Tl;dr: I need some method of completely and utterly removing iTunes and all the things that come along with it so I can reinstall.

Please help, this is driving me absolutely crazy.

Veteran Enthusiast Lt. Longrods's Avatar

I found this. Try it and see what happens:

First, reinstall iTunes. Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel. Double-click Add Or Remove Programs. Click to highlight iTunes and click Remove (in WinXP) or Change/Remove and then Remove (in Win2000). Follow the onscreen instructions. When you see the message Maintenance Successful. Setup Has Completed Maintenance On iTunes, click Finish. Next, double-click My Computer, C:, and Program Files. Right-click the iTunes folder and click Delete. Double-click the iPod folder, right-click the Bin folder, and click Delete. Right-click the Recycle Bin and click Empty Recycle Bin. Restart your computer. Double-click My Computer, C:, Documents And Settings, your username, Local Settings, and Temp. Drag any files in this folder to the Recycle Bin. Download and install iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download.