Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help in Pivot

Ok, so lately I have been animating alot and my animations are really stop 'n go. People tell me that and I know it too.

All I'm asking now is how can I avoid the stop 'n go style? I can't find a way.

Re: Nee some help in Pivot

if you make a move, be sure to begin the next move within ending the last move
    i know that not much, but thats the principe of flow and i hope, it helps

Veteran Enthusiast

Instead of easing movements to a stop, you have to chain them together. Easing each limb individually is a good way to flow movements.
    It's pretty much just instead of easing a movement until it stops and starts again, you transit the easing sequence into a new movement.
    Here is a tutorial by Xaine which explains movement trailing/flow: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=72961

Varie the easing, and work on the linking of the movements.
    Also you should just think of the combo before making it. And don't stop the movement too suddenly if you want to make another one after.
    Hope this helped =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mars41
    And don't stop the movement too suddenly if you want to make another one after.
    That is exactly what I always do.

Thanks alot for the help everyone :]

Oh, and I tried making a 3-hit combo, tell me if it looks good or wrong.

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Need some help in Pivot

It's still stop-n-go. Keep the spacing consistent. See how your easing each step and punch until it stops? Keep the limbs and origin continuously moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium
    It's still stop-n-go. Keep the spacing consistent. See how your easing each step and punch until it stops? Keep the limbs and origin continuously moving.
    geez, I tried everything in Pivot and eveything looks the same as the combo I just posted. Could you possibly give me an example animation?

Veteran Enthusiast Sharpshooter's Avatar

Hmm, there is still a little bit of stop n go in those attacks, just a little though. This has probably already been said but I think you should even out the spacing in each frame. In that animation above as the stick moves towards the right it seems to stop after each step it takes, instead of making it stop you should keep the stick moving towards the right at the same pace and keep the distance of each step the same, kinda like this (bad example):

http://pivotup.com/files/i2vs3arb.gif

Just imagine your stick doing combos in that, the spacing should be the same as the stick moves towards the right after each step, the spacing should not decrease after/during each step.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Hmm, there is still a little bit of stop n go in those attacks, just a little though. This has probably already been said but I think you should even out the spacing in each frame. In that animation above as the stick moves towards the right it seems to stop after each step it takes, instead of making it stop you should keep the stick moving towards the right at the same pace and keep the distance of each step the same, kinda like this (bad example):

http://pivotup.com/files/i2vs3arb.gif

Just imagine your stick doing combos in that, the spacing should be the same as the stick moves towards the right after each step, the spacing should not decrease after/during each step.
    But then, if I should make a combo, it should be a running stickman punching around. I tried that in Pivot and it looked kinda weird to me. :\

Veteran Enthusiast

No that is not what SharpShooter means. He means you should even out the spacing more, not make it fast. Try use some variations in spacing. E.G, make the arms moving fast , but make the legs moving slowly, yet still flowing. Example By Darren/Baha:
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6241/image007hq1.gif
    See the difference between his and yours? He still made the figure walking, but kept the spacing consistent.

Or if you want to ease your punches, don't stop the limbs completely. Ease them, but keep them still moving a bit so they are ready to transit into the next movement.
    Example by Tyrant:
    http://pivotup.com/files/5xsnaz1q.gif
    See how the easing wasn't so sudden and didn't stop entirely?

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast