Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Partitioning help!

I want to partition my hard drive so that I can install Linux on a partitioned part of it and recently snagged EASEUS partition manager pro from a giveawayoftheday offer, so I looked it up before making my C drive smaller and found that you can lose all of the things on the drive.
    So I want to know if I can split my drive so I have say, two thirds windows and one Linux?
    I'd like to know if this is possible in the EASEUS software, if not, is there any other way to do it?

I'm sorry if anything about this sounds stupid, but I'm only learning about this kind of stuff.

EDIT: Actually, I was wondering if during the ubuntu installation process, when you partition the hard-drive through that; does it delete the things that are on the windows installed hard-drive?
    [center:2gglb0ja][/center:2gglb0ja]

Re: Partitioning help!

An easy way to partition your harddrives is actually using windows's own software for it.

Do you have XP, Vista or 7?

I have windows 7 only 32bit though.
    My CPU is 64bit capable so I could install ubuntu 64bit couldn't I?
    Or wouldn't it have as many of the upsides as 32bit ubuntu? I'm just not sure about some of these things

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Robot
    I have windows 7 only 32bit though.
    My CPU is 64bit capable so I could install ubuntu 64bit couldn't I?
    Or wouldn't it have as many of the upsides as 32bit ubuntu? I'm just not sure about some of these things
    Yes technically you could install the 64bit, however unless you have 4GB ram or more you should just stick to the 32bit version.

And good, Windows 7 is very easy to partition. Here's what you do.

Hit start and type "disk management" and "Create and format hard drive partitions" should pop up, or something similar. Open that up and you should see something like this:

[tn=200:1thnlh8e]http://yourimg.in/i/2mc0j5.png[/tn:1thnlh8e]

Right click on your C: drive (or the largest drive / one you want to partition) and click "Shrink".

A box will pop up basically asking you how much you want to shrink your drive by, enter how large you want your partition to be (For example, 20gb, but you have to put it in MB, so look up a converter online if you want to be accurate).

Then it will create a little chunk next to the existing harddrive partition. Right click that and click "format", and it will ask you to do stuff like select the drive letter, and name it etc. Click ok and your new partition is ready to go.

Then when you go to install Linux, just make sure you select the partition drive and everything should go peachy.

Ok, thanks Skype! I will try this right away but, can your hard-drive get corrupted from doing this? Or is that only through partitioning the drive through the linux installer?
    Sorry if I seem a little annoying with this but I worry about these kind of things and I don't want to lose all my games and that and have to reinstall them.

I know about having 4gb is best, I have 4gb of ram but as I am using 32bit it displays as only 3gb

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Robot
    Ok, thanks Skype! I will try this right away but, can your hard-drive get corrupted from doing this? Or is that only through partitioning the drive through the linux installer?
    Sorry if I seem a little annoying with this but I worry about these kind of things and I don't want to lose all my games and that and have to reinstall them.

I know about having 4gb is best, I have 4gb of ram but as I am using 32bit it displays as only 3gb
    If you have 4gb ram, go for the 64bit You wont notice a difference but at least you'll be using all your ram.

As for the corruption thing, sometimes when I get board I create loads of small partitions of my harddrive just to occupy time xD I've never had any problems with corrupted harddrives or anything not working. Don't worry about it.

In the event of something going wrong, I'm sure you could just boot in safe mode and use system restore.