Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Legal Trouble

Enthusiast

Legal Trouble

Since I'm moving out at around late August to go to college, I decided to go tie up loose ends.

My neighbors have a tree that's roots cut through the cement that seperates our walls. Basically, there's a wall that separates one backyard from the other, and it could collapse at any second. The wall seems to be leaning at my house. My mom thought about going to the city to force them to kill the tree, but the kid who lives there is my childhood friend.

My parents aren't going to the city, but if someones gets injured or killed, is my family going to get sued, or is it going to be my neighbors. My mom already sent them a letter, and they said that it's THEIR mom's (my friend's grandmother) tree, and that they don't want to kill it.

So if someone does get hurt, or possibly even killed, am I responsible? If I am, can someone help with the situation?
    LoL Username: Mmmmooooooooo

Re: Legal Trouble

If you've warned them of the situation and had someone from your council to survey the issue, and they take no action, if someone gets hurt it's your neighbour's fault.

Get someone from your council / whatever you have where you live to come and survey the tree (should be free), and if they see it as a risk they'll tell the owner (your neighbours) to have it cut down.

h4x0r

Yeah the only thing you really can do is tell your parents to go to the city, and if they see it as a major problem they'll cut it down, for free. I had a similar situation happen to me except the branches were over their house and they were about to fall.

Your parents have no other option than to go to the city. Other than that you could face legal troubles if it fell.

Enthusiast

Update

City says they don't care, and that it's my problem. It's a "private" matter.

Now what?
    LoL Username: Mmmmooooooooo

This means that it's up to your neighbors family to cut it down to avoid any damage. If it falls they'll have problems. Just keep your letters and some pics from the scene.
    [center:1vms8s0o]...which is why Jimi hendrix is God, period.[/center:1vms8s0o]