Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Localhost blank page

I had XAMPP installed aaages back for some web stuff, I uninstalled it a few months ago though. Ever since then when I tried to access localhost or 127.0.0.1 it'd immediately go to a blank page, with the url as a title (not too strange, I'd expect it to come up with some sort of connection / 404 error though).

For the past couple of days I've been trying out different things like WAMP, XAMPP again and Z:WAMP. Between each program I'd installed and uninstalled them correctly, but no matter what, when I tried to access localhost, it was that same blank page. Like something was blocking it.
    Using Windows 7 & Firefox.

Any help?

Pen
    Enthusiast

Re: Localhost blank page

make sure your mysql, and apache ports are open. And make sure to start up Xampp, I some times forget to when I need to use it. Also, I believe there is a install file that you need to do first, though I could be wrong, its been a year since I've installed XAMPP on any computer.

XAMPP was running, Apache & MySQL services were started too. What do you mean "make sure your mysql and apache ports are open"? Also keep in mind this isn't just an issue with XAMPP - I like the look of Z:WAMP and might switch to that.

Oh, important piece of info I forgot - the specific error on all 3 was something along the lines of "Apache web server is down". MySQL didn't seem to have any issues.

e: actually, I remember XAMPP displaying that Apache was running, but the text logs beneath the toggles had an error relating to apache too.

Reinstall somewhere else and make sure your hosts file isn't making 127.0.0.1 point somewhere else.

Pen
    Enthusiast

Oh, I just thought about this as well. If your running Skype, Apache and skype have the same ports, these could be your error. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure, I've never had that error before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
    Oh, I just thought about this as well. If your running Skype, Apache and skype have the same ports, these could be your error. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure, I've never had that error before.
    That was it, thanks.