Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Easing!?

Senior Member Tenebrous Assassin's Avatar
    If I told you that i would have to kill you...

Easing!?

Please can someone explain in as much detail as they can about how to ease well and how to easse correctly. I have read bahas and darrens tutorial on easing but for some reason I just can't follow it. Any help will be greatly appreciated because according to my thread, easing is what's holding me back Thanks!
    [center:3jmamvok]I am back!!!

| Pivot Thread (Locked) | New Pivot Thread | EasyToon Thread | HyperRaccoon.org |

Requests
    [spoiler:3jmamvok]ShadowBlade for Helper
    Stickid for Helper
    Krustalien for Moderator
    Lithium for Admin
    Ward for Admin[/spoiler:3jmamvok][/center:3jmamvok]

Re: Easing!?

yes, i will help you. i don't want to get more criticisms from the staff for spamming up threads so PM me about anything you are unsure about. personally i think that trailing and easing should always go together so i will teach you how to do that too.

Question Answered!

[spoiler:n0wbhfsc][/spoiler:n0wbhfsc]

Ward for Administrator

Chief Turd

If the tutorials don't help you, then I'd suggest just working at it until you get the hang of it. If you have issues with easing, then maybe Crono's tutorial could help you a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    yes, i will help you. i don't want to get more criticisms from the staff for spamming up threads so PM me about anything you are unsure about. personally i think that trailing and easing should always go together so i will teach you how to do that too.

Question Answered!
    You could have answered the question in your post, and then taken it to PMS thus cancelling out the need for a post.

Easing is just slowing down spacing after a movement or movements. It can be difficult at times to apply it correctly and may result in lots of editing, and easing test is not just a slow animation, it is easing the animation after a movement. If a movement is to flow from another movement, either ease it slightly or don't ease at all, it is up to you and the position of the stickman at the time.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Devoted Veteran

This is something that's a lot harder to explain in words or by concept than it is to simply download animations you find look good and looking at the spacing frame by frame. When I had first started animating, I spent so long trying to understand the concept behind easing and looking at tutorials that I overcomplicated it and turned it into a much bigger ordeal than it really is.

Download .piv files, look at the spacing, and with any amount of patience I'm sure you'll pick up on how it works.
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

Senior Member Tenebrous Assassin's Avatar
    If I told you that i would have to kill you...

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

any other tips?
    [center:3jmamvok]I am back!!!

| Pivot Thread (Locked) | New Pivot Thread | EasyToon Thread | HyperRaccoon.org |

Requests
    [spoiler:3jmamvok]ShadowBlade for Helper
    Stickid for Helper
    Krustalien for Moderator
    Lithium for Admin
    Ward for Admin[/spoiler:3jmamvok][/center:3jmamvok]

Don't fret so much over easing. To get an animation looking nice (for the majority of people), you want to implement flow. Easing every movement as many tell you to do, can create an ugly look often called "stop and go."

Flow is effectively making a never ending flow of movements, keeping momentum and speed up throughout the movement process. If you're making a combo, you want a punch to follow into a kick smoothly. Easing each movement individually however creates this stop and go business.

In my experience, you only ever want to use what is known as easing at the start and end of a movement or a group of movements, never between. Focus more on spacing as a whole, and understanding it. If you look at animations by Gifgiff or ipwnall, their movements are pulled off perfectly due to simply getting spacing. Something I attempt to bring to my animations.

Once you understand spacing (which is effectively understanding animation) you can start to portray emotion by simply making you stick man move in certain ways. It's a fantastic talent to have.

Oops, that didn't make any sense.