Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Computer help?

Computer help?

Basically, I'm buying a computer for college, and I'm looking for either an Hp or Macbook, specifically the Dv7 with:

3rd Gen Intel i7 processor with 2.3 GHz and 6MB Cache (honestly don't know what the fuck this means so an explanation would be nice)
    8GB System Memory
    1TB 5400rpm HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory

or a Macbook with:
    2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm (the 1TB on the hp is a special deal, not that big of a deal)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

So basically I understand the basics but the graphics and ram are a bigger deal to me right now and the Macbook Pro is cheaper by like $100.

If you were going to shell out about $1,100 what would you get basically?
    [center:1unt1isk]
    -Streak[/center:1unt1isk]

Re: Computer help?

If graphics and gaming is more important go with the Hp. The graphics card is way better with 2gb gddr5. Also, a quad core i7 is way better than a dual core i5 as far as I know. Plus, Windows is way more capable of gaming than the macbook. If I were you, I'd wait until the windows 8 laptops come out later this year. They should be available around the time college starts from what I hear, but if you need it soon, you can always get a windows 8 upgrade disc.
    "An expensive watch will never buy you more time" theminimalists
    PM for CC - My Thread - Reference Collection - Forum Rules

If you are like me at not overly good with computers, you should go with a Mac. While Windows offers the maximised capabilities and constant upgrades. Mac is Mac in the sense that the majority of the computer, the OS and the programs are all designed by Apple for Mac computers. But if you know what to do and know how to maximise the opportunities of Windows, go for a Windows computer.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

I'm not gonna be gaming. The graphics need is for Graphic Design in college.

Also, I know nothing about the building of computers, however I have a higher-than-average knowledge of working the computer if that makes sense.
    [center:1unt1isk]
    -Streak[/center:1unt1isk]

Veteran Enthusiast

I bought a refurb hp dv7 for $600, had an initial problem which they fixed and it has been amazing ever since. i can game and stuff, you could easily install a better graphics card (i havent because imo playing experience > graphics, and I cbf buying a card)