Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Banned

I cant upgrade my computer to Home Premium!

Okay..

So on Friday after my friend suggested me upgrading my os to home premium to fix some of the errors my computer has had over the last 3 weeks. that's what i planned when I came home. So when I'm trying to upgrade for the fourth time now it says that The upgrade was unsuccessful. Now I'm absolutely pissed.. I paid 120 bucks so it would work. Can someone please help me..

Re: I cant upgrade my computer to Home Premium!

Rather than upgrading, back up important files and do a clean install. Microsofts upgrade feature is shit.

Banned

LOL. But how exactly do I do a clean install?

Quote Originally Posted by thepivotstudent
    If you have a disc for your upgrade, follow these steps:

1. Place the DVD in your DVD-ROM drive
    2. Back up your necessary files and such like Skype said [personally, I would partition your HDD or back them up to a large USB stick or external HDD]
    3. Once you've backed everything off, boot down the computer
    4. Boot your computer back up, but look for the F# key that will boot your computer into the boot menu. This differs with different computers. If you don't know, I would pay attention to the screen when you boot up your computer or look it up on the internet.
    5. When you are in the boot menu, there should be something along the lines of "Boot from CD" or it should say what kind of DVD-ROM drive you have [in my experience, it gives me the name of my drive]
    6. Click enter when you have it selected
    7. When prompted to, click a key on the keyboard to boot the CD completely
    8. Go through the process of installing it fresh. At this point, if you have everything backed up on a second partition or back up HDD, all you would need to do is either click the Hard Drive you are using or perhaps even format it. Only format it if you know everything that you need is backed up and you want it to be a completely fresh install
    9. Install and wait

Might not be the best instructions or best steps, but I've had to reformat this machine so many times and reinstall fresh that this is the process that I take. Now, if your computer has any necessary drivers, you might either want to find the discs or go download them before you completely reinstall.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    Quote Originally Posted by thepivotstudent
    If you have a disc for your upgrade, follow these steps:

1. Place the DVD in your DVD-ROM drive
    2. Back up your necessary files and such like Skype said [personally, I would partition your HDD or back them up to a large USB stick or external HDD]
    3. Once you've backed everything off, boot down the computer
    4. Boot your computer back up, but look for the F# key that will boot your computer into the boot menu. This differs with different computers. If you don't know, I would pay attention to the screen when you boot up your computer or look it up on the internet.
    5. When you are in the boot menu, there should be something along the lines of "Boot from CD" or it should say what kind of DVD-ROM drive you have [in my experience, it gives me the name of my drive]
    6. Click enter when you have it selected
    7. When prompted to, click a key on the keyboard to boot the CD completely
    8. Go through the process of installing it fresh. At this point, if you have everything backed up on a second partition or back up HDD, all you would need to do is either click the Hard Drive you are using or perhaps even format it. Only format it if you know everything that you need is backed up and you want it to be a completely fresh install
    9. Install and wait

Might not be the best instructions or best steps, but I've had to reformat this machine so many times and reinstall fresh that this is the process that I take. Now, if your computer has any necessary drivers, you might either want to find the discs or go download them before you completely reinstall.

Well the thing is...Im not using a CD. Im using an upgrade key..

Consult www.sevenforums.com

Excellent website. They'll be better off helping than us.

Banned

I'm actually part of that site already. :0 I consulted my issue with them, and it hasn't been fixed as of yet.