Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Banned

How to get a few files through Windows.old?

Hello,

About a month to a month and a half after I got my new laptop, i've been losing files all over my Pivot folder. Entire folders, important .piv files, etc. But, I don't believe they would be deleted in the Windows.old folder, so if they aren't, I'd like to try and get those files back. More importantly, my Mecha, Nobunaga.

An Image to it is here:
    Nobunaga

Could someone tell me if what I want to do is possible? And how I can get to my Windows.old folder? Like the path to it and etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    ~CN-

Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

C:\Windows.old

UNLESS you already chose it to be saved somewhere else. In that case, the fastest way to finding it might be searching the name of the stick, Nobunaga or whatever.

Windows.old is for those who have reformatted their machines without formatting the HDD. Have you reinstalled your OS at all?

If so and you have not formatted your HDD for the reinstall, you need to go to your main HDD and the folder windows.old will be there. Basically after that, you'll just want to make your way through the folder until you find the Users folder which will allow you to drag and drop your files. If you haven't done this, then I'm afraid they are probably lost.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

The Little Frij

If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?

Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij
    If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?
    It might work but from my understanding, when you reformat your machine with an OS on the same bit (e.g. 32-bit) without formatting the drive itself: windows.old folder.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

The Little Frij

Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    It might work but from my understanding, when you reformat your machine with an OS on the same bit (e.g. 32-bit) without formatting the drive itself: windows.old folder.
    I was thinking more about if he does not have a windows.old folder, such as if he hadn't needed to reformat his machine or he did it with a different OS or bit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    I was thinking more about if he does not have a windows.old folder, such as if he hadn't needed to reformat his machine or he did it with a different OS or bit.
    I never formatted my hardrive, but I did do a Factory Image Restore on my HDD once due to me loading old files from my computer wrong. I don't see a windows.old folder, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do what you said.

I honestly have no idea as to if a System Restore will work. I hope it does.