Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,548

    How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    Hello,

    About a month to a month and a half after I got my new laptop, i've been losing files all over my Pivot folder. Entire folders, important .piv files, etc. But, I don't believe they would be deleted in the Windows.old folder, so if they aren't, I'd like to try and get those files back. More importantly, my Mecha, Nobunaga.

    An Image to it is here:
    Nobunaga

    Could someone tell me if what I want to do is possible? And how I can get to my Windows.old folder? Like the path to it and etc? Any help would be appreciated.

    Regards,
    ~CN-

  2. #2
    Global Champyon Stickid's Avatar



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    4,307

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    C:\Windows.old

    UNLESS you already chose it to be saved somewhere else. In that case, the fastest way to finding it might be searching the name of the stick, Nobunaga or whatever.

  3. #3
    DD's Collector Faded's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,907

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    Windows.old is for those who have reformatted their machines without formatting the HDD. Have you reinstalled your OS at all?

    If so and you have not formatted your HDD for the reinstall, you need to go to your main HDD and the folder windows.old will be there. Basically after that, you'll just want to make your way through the folder until you find the Users folder which will allow you to drag and drop your files. If you haven't done this, then I'm afraid they are probably lost.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx
    Skype: darkdemonusertim

    Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

  4. #4
    The Little Frij
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Miss
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?

  5. #5
    DD's Collector Faded's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,907

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij
    If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?
    It might work but from my understanding, when you reformat your machine with an OS on the same bit (e.g. 32-bit) without formatting the drive itself: windows.old folder.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx
    Skype: darkdemonusertim

    Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

  6. #6
    The Little Frij
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Miss
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij
    If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?
    It might work but from my understanding, when you reformat your machine with an OS on the same bit (e.g. 32-bit) without formatting the drive itself: windows.old folder.
    I was thinking more about if he does not have a windows.old folder, such as if he hadn't needed to reformat his machine or he did it with a different OS or bit.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,548

    Re: How to get a few files through Windows.old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij
    If you don't succeed in finding them in Windows.old, wouldn't system restore work?
    It might work but from my understanding, when you reformat your machine with an OS on the same bit (e.g. 32-bit) without formatting the drive itself: windows.old folder.
    I was thinking more about if he does not have a windows.old folder, such as if he hadn't needed to reformat his machine or he did it with a different OS or bit.
    I never formatted my hardrive, but I did do a Factory Image Restore on my HDD once due to me loading old files from my computer wrong. I don't see a windows.old folder, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do what you said.

    I honestly have no idea as to if a System Restore will work. I hope it does.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •