Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Fresh Newbie

Varying the Animation/Movement Speed.

Hopefully my problem is obvious from the title of this thread. Well; when I animate my little sticks about, there's a reocurring problem. I've tried increasing that one FPS -slider, (It only goes as far as to 33 in Pivot v3 Beta.), but it's still just too slow.

To make an example; let's say Ralph the Stick decides to go on a walk. Well; as Ralph's humble creator, I'll be animating him. So, I keep posing his limbs, changing frame, posing further, etc. How fast and fluid he moves is now of course dependant on how fluid I animate him.

However; let's say Ralph decides to run. Or jump. Whatever. Something quick anyways. Obviously, his speed should get drastically boosted. He'll run faster than he walks, right? Or even worse, let's say I was making a stereotypical stick-move involving two characters fighting each other in a suitably spectacular fashion. Obviously, there'll be a lot of both jumping, falling, running, advancing, throwing stuff, kicking, and basically a lot of different things happening at different speeds. How does one go about making this look okay? The only way I can make a character break from a walk to a run now, is to animate the running part differently from the walking part, (Duh!), but he'll still move across the screen in the same pace as if he was just still walking.

So - Yeah. Hope I made myself sound coherent. Please help! (simile_)

Enthusiast

Re: Varying the Animation/Movement Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by St1gar
    Hopefully my problem is obvious from the title of this thread. Well; when I animate my little sticks about, there's a reocurring problem. I've tried increasing that one FPS -slider, (It only goes as far as to 33 in Pivot v3 Beta.), but it's still just too slow.

To make an example; let's say Ralph the Stick decides to go on a walk. Well; as Ralph's humble creator, I'll be animating him. So, I keep posing his limbs, changing frame, posing further, etc. How fast and fluid he moves is now of course dependant on how fluid I animate him.

However; let's say Ralph decides to run. Or jump. Whatever. Something quick anyways. Obviously, his speed should get drastically boosted. He'll run faster than he walks, right? Or even worse, let's say I was making a stereotypical stick-move involving two characters fighting each other in a suitably spectacular fashion. Obviously, there'll be a lot of both jumping, falling, running, advancing, throwing stuff, kicking, and basically a lot of different things happening at different speeds. How does one go about making this look okay? The only way I can make a character break from a walk to a run now, is to animate the running part differently from the walking part, (Duh!), but he'll still move across the screen in the same pace as if he was just still walking.

So - Yeah. Hope I made myself sound coherent. Please help! (simile_)
    this is in the wrong section so can a mod or admin move it

*moved*

erm i think the answer is to work out a system of knowing how many frames it takes to make a run and walk - start 2 different animations pratacing this then once u have worked it out stick to the number of frames u have worked out works well for a run and a walk

-fp

Well, for the first part, this should be in the Help center. Second, welcome to darkdemon. Third, bascically, if I am understanding you, if you want to have your stickman move faster, make the incriments between frames bigger. If you want him to move slower, make the incriments smaller. Try checking out the tutorials section for additional help.

Fresh Newbie
    Ugh. Sorry for posting wrong. I usually never do that. ^:_)

Anyways; as to the advice that suggested that I make the incriments between the frames bigger: Well, thing is, I don't want it to lose any fluidness. I don't want it to look too choppy and weird, (Like a computer game with low FPS or something.), if you know what I mean. I want it to look like he is still moving about, and not teleporting himself forwards or something. :])

Anyways, I could always post the animation in question. It's the first one I've ever made, and so it's, well, blatantly horrible. But you'll get the idea of my problem. Just tell me how to post the animation, and I'll be right on it.

Thanks for your replies, and, again, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Well, first off, you shouldn't ever need to animate at any speed higher than the midway point on the slider bar (default) Which is very close to 15 or 16 FPS.

And to answer your question, it depends a lot upon what you're trying to do. Sometimes if it's a basic movement, like going from walking to running, a jump, or somthing like that, the easiest thing to do is go into a big room, (or outside) and try the move yourself a few times to get a feel for what it should look like, then animate it as closely as possible to that, making minor adjustments here and there so it looks smoother.
    For something you can't do, like a jump spin flying back kick for example, just look at other people's anis that have similar moves in them, and keep trying different ways of doing it until you get somthing you like.

The main thing is to practice, and don't be afraid to delete frames and start over a little bit, many times it's a lot easier than trying to edit each one after you've already tried once.

(you and me seem to be a lot alike, we make our posts too long :P)

EDIT: and sometimes it will feel like a move is spaced too far apart, especially like if you have a stickman running across the screen without the camera following him, but most of the time, as long is it's not very obviously horrible, nobody will ever notice it.

Fresh Newbie
    I think you misunderstood it all. Unless I did. wa_)(

So you people think that I somehow post too long? Well, I'll get right to the point, then.

Whenever I animate a guy moving his arm upwards, (For Example.), with every frame I'll draw the arm a little further from the body, right? Well, the less I move it away per frame, the more fluid it will look when completed. It will be slow, though, which is why I wonder if it is possibe to make the movement speed up without simply making the gap between the arm and the body huge with each frame, which will look unnatural.

Anyways, please just tell me how to post an animation, and I'll show you right away! :])

Quote Originally Posted by St1gar
    So you people think that I somehow post too long? Well, I'll get right to the point, then.
    No, I was only joking actually. I like long posts much better, they're usually easier to understand than the basic 'i need help how do i make animations smooth'

But I see what you were asking now, and making tiny movements every frame won't make your animation smoother, just slower. For fast movements you have to move more than just a few pixels.
    Sometimes it takes a lot of practice to figure out how much to move things for different speeds, but that's what tests are for. just keep trying out different amounts of movement.
    In the end, upping the framerate to maximum and making tiny movements won't look any smoother than if you left it at defaut and made bigger movements, as long as you do it right. It's just more work for you ^_^

And to upload animations, go to http://filenuke.com and make an account, then hit the upload file button, and it should tell you what to do from there.

I hope this answers your question, once you upload an animation though, it'll be a lot easier to help you.

Fresh Newbie
    Aright. The following is a test I made in approx. 3 minutes, (Or 2 minutes 16 seconds to be exact.), made specifically for this test, and so I have ignored the quality of the animation itself, as it is irrelevant.

In the film you'll see a badly animated stick walking from left to right. He'll stop for a while, before commencing a run, without you seeing him actually breaking from the walk to the run. He'll just suddenly, mysteriously, be in a running stance. After a short run, he'll throw himself up in the air, and glide/fly Superman-style into the edge of the screen, acting as a wall. He'll collide with it, and finally fall downwards and out of the screen.

Basically, the movie has a walk, a run, a jump, a flying collide, and finally a fall. All of which should be in different speeds, but due to the fact that I want to keep things fluid, It all looks as though it is in slow motion, and all at the EXACT SAME pace. Especially the colliding bit. It looks like he's silently flying up to it, and then carefully throws himself off.

http://www.filenuke.com/files/SpeedTest.piv

This is why I wonder if it is possible to speed up certain parts of the animations, individually.

NB: Watch in the default FPS. The animation is made in Pivot v3 BETA.

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

No its not possible you have to make them faster by making the farther apart, if hes walking to running he should slow down(A little) to get in position to take off. You see my point?