Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Can someone tell me what the operator symbol means?

First of all, I'm not talking about in slender man and stuff, I'm talking about in real life, what does it mean? For those of you who don't know what the operator symbol is here's a picture:

If you've seen marble hornets or played slenderman, you should know what it is though. Anyways, a while ago, in an unfinished closet in my basement, I saw that symbol drawn in sharpie on a wooden beam, and I'm wondering what it means. Is it a carpentry symbol or something? It's obviously not the slender man trying to kill me, so I was wondering what it meant and if any of you know what it means?

E:Not exactly sure if this qualifies as help, so if it doesn't belong here, could a staff member move it please?

Pingu

Re: Can someone tell me what the operator symbol means?

D????????O?????????'??????????T??????????? ??????????S?????????T????????A????????????????????? ?T?????????O????????O??????? ??????L????????????N??????????G???????????
    [tn=20:vu89hysr]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AjnuUW_felU/T2Utyocje0I/AAAAAAAADqg/fKPIJ7hdGPg/s1600/ts%D1%84%D1%8B%D1%84%D1%8B.png[/tn:vu89hysr]
    ????????
    ????????????H???????E?????? ???????I?????????S?????????????? ??????????M?????????P????????A?????T?I?????E????????N????????T????????
    See You Space Honkboy...

Quote Originally Posted by *Shift
    DON'T STAY TOO LONG

HE IS IMPATIENT
    LOL, alright any idea what it means though?

Pingu

Veteran Enthusiast

Mathematically it's called an n-ary circled times operator.

n-ary is just a logic system with set number of arguments; unary is 1, binary 2, ternary is 3 etc. n-ary uses n, therefore undefined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arity

I have no idea what a circled times operator is, perhaps the symbol is used for arguments/equations between two different arities. This is degree level maths, I'm very patchy at anything beyond computer science!

Thanks, that helps a little, but I still don't know why it was drawn on a wooden beam.
    E:Another version exists as a circle with a superimposed X, and is used to describe the three-dimensional directionality of an arrow.

From a google link, could it mean this?

Pingu

Banned

That is the sybol that Slenderman would use to stay alive. He lived off of belief, so once people saw that, it would stay in their minds so that they would keep believing, and he would keep living.

It's used for formulas where multiple operators apply... So A *Operator* B = C. While having certain conditions for the three letters, means that multiplication, addition, differentiation or whatever the hell you replace the operator for will comply with the formula.

Banned

??'? ??????!
    [tn=15:1sxhi0p4]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AjnuUW_felU/T2Utyocje0I/AAAAAAAADqg/fKPIJ7hdGPg/s1600/ts%D1%84%D1%8B%D1%84%D1%8B.png[/tn:1sxhi0p4]
    ??????, ??? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ????!

its probably someone trying to prank you...
    Its a symbol for tick-tack-toe i guess :P