Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Ordering gaming online

Hey I've been recently thinking about getting a gamecube over at amazon but I have very little experience with online shopping, only did it once, bought an album at cduniverse.

If any of you guys could give me a few tips, or if I should even do it, I just feel really cautios and unsafe when it comes to this x)

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

Re: Ordering gaming online

I haven't ordered anything too big from Amazon, but I've ordered books, DVD's, video games, etc., and I haven't had a problem yet.

Who's the seller? If it's a well known company, like Hastings or even Amazon themselves, there shouldn't be a problem, and you can always send a complaint if there are issues.

EDIT: Also, check this out. It might answer some other questions you may have: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...q/index_en.htm

Make sure to read the customer reviews and ratings on the seller, before you purchase something. I personally wouldn't take the gamble to order from a new seller.

Ah buying your first console on an online shop! This is always fun to do because there are just so many that people sell used.

The first and foremost question I should ask you is: are you looking for it complete or just loose (loose meaning no box, no manuals, just the console and the optional hookups for the console)?

If you are looking for it used, then definitely use Amazon to get it loose. When you look through the offers on Amazon, most sellers have to give a description of what all is included if anything. Be wary of used offers that usually are low priced and say Like New because in my experience, the damn things have never worked. However, if you are looking to buy a whole new console, I wouldn't use Amazon to buy it, but instead use eBay. The reason I say this is because most people will put sealed boxed consoles or consoles that include the box at a fair and reasonable price in terms of the bidding and buy-it-now standards as it is all based off of supply and demand. If you look at the prices for new consoles on Amazon, people are easily going to rip you off since Amazon doesn't offer a bidding system and the rules aren't as well enforced unlike eBay. When buying new, also make sure that there is a clear photo that is not stock as people will put stock photos up and try to rip you off. It's happened to me before and it's not a fun thing to call customer support and sit on the phone for over an hour just to talk to a human representative. Almost everything I buy is on eBay exclusively because sometimes you can get really lucky with deals that you normally won't find on Amazon and they are usually for consoles that are either boxed or loose, including games. Make sure to thoroughly read each offer as some people will try to pass the console off as a used console but won't work and should only be used for parts and/or repair.

Honestly, online is the best way to go to get an older generation console. I would say if your location had a hobby shop or a collecting shop, to try and find one there so you don't have to wait as long; however, people are generally nice online and you can find great deals for even imported consoles as long as you know what you are looking for and how you are looking for it.

(5+ Nintendo collecting years experience on this particular topic)
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Thank you guys
    I've been finding some good offers I just need to make up my mind. Now, more towards you Faded, since you know about the subject.. I'm a bit concerned about GameCube's power cable, since the end that goes in the socket's (don't really know a specific name for it :P) shape doesn't match the sockets we have here in Portugal, but I guess I can find an adapter around somewhere right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo
    Thank you guys
    I've been finding some good offers I just need to make up my mind. Now, more towards you Faded, since you know about the subject.. I'm a bit concerned about GameCube's power cable, since the end that goes in the socket's (don't really know a specific name for it :P) shape doesn't match the sockets we have here in Portugal, but I guess I can find an adapter around somewhere right?
    There are adapters yes, however, does Portugal's electricity sockets match with most PAL sockets? If not, I would honestly check for adapters that are multi-region. Importing is the hardest thing to do when it comes to buying consoles because you need to be weary of electricity currents in X country to your country. I would say get a power-strip and dedicate a single strip to your import consoles so when you want to play them, you can switch them on and off without burning up the cable.

Well the sockets look like this and to be honest I can't really make much of what else you said. (not that it wasnt clear or helpful, im just stumbling upon this kind of stuff for the first time) So there's the possibility of the current being too strong for the cables? I can give you some numbers on that if you'd think it would help

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo
    Well the sockets look like this and to be honest I can't really make much of what else you said. (not that it wasnt clear or helpful, im just stumbling upon this kind of stuff for the first time) So there's the possibility of the current being too strong for the cables? I can give you some numbers on that if you'd think it would help
    You might just want to look into a universal adapter that has the hookups. I guarantee that your Gamecube is from the US or Japan or is it a European release? If its Euro, then you are simply only going to need an adapter that can plug into your socket but has PAL hookups if that makes any sense.