Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Rant of Sorts about the Forum *Opinion Warning*

A Rant of Sorts about the Forum *Opinion Warning*

This is the best place to express my opinions so here goes nothing. This is going to be my little rant about the current state of the forums. Hopefully, this will open some people's eyes and that is my intention. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but it's high time I get some repressed things off of my chest. I'm going to outline all of these in points so that they are easier to read.

Point 1: PHPBB vs. VBulletin Forum Software

This point is going to tie in with a later point so just keep this in mind for later. I understand that DarkAdmin is the webhost as of now but I still pose the question as to why it was necessary to change forum software? I understand that change is a good thing and I do accept this however, have you ever taken notice to how unprofessional the forum looks now. It kills my eyes to see that we are entrering quite a few months and there has been no change whatsoever to the theme. I understand that VBulletin themes cost money and there is just one thing that I still wonder about: why not get a forum member to do this? It's not like you are giving some user full reign of the adminstrator's control panel for the forum allowing them to change everything at their whim. Why not make a competition or do something to interact with the community so that they can outline the future for Animator.net? That right there would alone eliminate any fear of having to pay money to someone to design a theme that no one is going to like. There is a thing called charity work and I can almost guarantee that this would be a welcoming idea for anyone who enjoys programming and loves to design themes since there are members on this forum that are probably capable of accomplishing this. Another thing about VBulletin that I don't particularly enjoy is the idea of throwing Elliott's work on spam-prevention away in lieu of quite frankly, a unprofessional forum software; however, we will touch on this later. I can understand that PHPBB might be intimidating but it works a lot better than what I've seen VBulletin do, but that is the joy of running a forum and that is the learning process. Just because you are accustomed to one thing doesn't mean that it is a bad idea to throw away what other's are used to. If you have this fear, just learn how the forum software looks and grow acquainted with it to dispel those fears. To this day, I don't understand why we had to move to VBulletin but I guess I'll never understand.

Point 2: Name Change?

Again, I welcome change. I feel that change is a great thing because you get to embrace the old with the new alike; however, I can't help but think that the name change is partially the cause to dwindling activity. There used to be a time where I could sign into the forum and there would be hundreds of posts with threads that I could browse. This was one of the reasons why I enjoyed signing in every day after school, to read what other people had to say. So what happened exactly? I know websites have their rough patches where activity does dwindle but when this forum was still considered to be Darkdemon, we were getting members every single day. I haven't looked at the statistics lately because I've been busy but my god, the forum is practically dead. At one time, I've only ever seen a handful of people on compared to the hundreds that used to sign in at one time and there are barely any "hot" threads. Most threads get drowned in the sea of other threads thus in my opinion, creating an instability of old and new. I can understand that the webhost is the one who is supposed to push for change and rebrand every so often but was this a good idea to rebrand into a name that many have grown accustom to?

Point 3: Spam Protection

Remember how I made mention in point 1 that there would be a later point that would focus on this? This is that point. When we were still using PHPBB, how many spam bots did we have when Elliott had that countermeasure for spam posts and spam accounts? If I can recall right, the statistic is really low. Since we've moved to VBulletin, we've almost doubled in spam bots and spam posts! This is not good. Yes, this shit does happen to every forum but I've counted about 5 current spam threads all advertising the same exact thing! I know the people who are on the staff have lives like the rest of us but our only line of defense whilst using PHPBB was nullified in the move to new forum software and it almost feels like we are going in circles. Why not hire more people onto the staff to deal with this? Why not try to find new countermeasures to combat the spam bots and spam posts on the forum? If it doesn't happen, then the forum is only going to drown in spam posts because I see more and more of the same spam posts every single time I sign in. I do see that the current staff has it currently under control to an extent but what happens when those posts get overwhelming to the point where it becomes a wildfire? I try to be optimistic but this stuff does happen when people least expect it.

These are currently the things I've held repressed for so long. I don't have any animosity with any of the current staff members because they deserve those spots as much as the next person. I'm trying to think realistically here because I don't want to see the community that I've grown up with for the past 6 years just die out like the others. I try to think optimistically but as of lately, I feel like the forum is dwindling to nothing and is dying because of the recent changes.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    These are all valid points, but most of them have already been mentioned. Several people including myself have offered to make a new theme, which DA was considering. However, we can't do anything about any of this because DA is gone. We've been molilla'd, so unfortunately there's not much we can do.

Flume

In conjunction with upping the spam protection, post approval should be brought back for the first 5 posts. Banning the bots will still be an issue but at least we can keep the forum clean from their posts while they are being dealt with. Also it helps new members out when it comes learning how to post in line with the forum rules.

The Green Boss

In DD we had a moderator control panel, where posts had to be approved or unaproved. Now we don't have that anymore so it's more annoying to look out for them, plus if the topic or post is posted in an area outside of the pivot forums the AT (Biggest and most active group) can't do anything about it. I want old DD back, everything that has happened has worsened the site.

@Juke

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I always try to look at the positives but it's to the point now where I don't even know if having an optimistic outlook is a possibility unless things change. I know DarkAdmin forked out the money for the website when Mollila sold it off; however, I feel that if there is to be any chance of this community that things NEED to CHANGE soon. While I was a moderator, this forum taught me that there are responsibilities to helping maintain a forum which is why I respect the community and the staff members who take time out of their lives. I knew that PHPBB had those features but during the forum's lifespan, I didn't see that feature implemented as much as I did towards the buyout and the switch. At any given time, I only see a few staff online, and I ask the question: why not bring on old staff and new staff alike? The more staff we have, the better it would be to help aid against spammers and such while there is no feature to block them. I don't know what form of insecurity certain people seem to have including DarkAdmin, and I don't mean this to be hateful or mean but sometimes you have to listen to the people who have been on the forums for a long time and know their way around the forum. If you don't have community input, you are only going to cause tension and that's something I don't want to see happen at all. I grew up with this forum and while yes, I had my moments, I overcame them and learned from my actions as I grew older and realized how much it can affect your future in the end. If you don't recruit more staff or revert forum software or whatever, you are only going to have problems with spam since it's getting extremely bad. You have to listen to your community and try to understand what they want sometimes and make it a reality to appease the hysteria.

Flume

I agree with having more staff, it's something I've been pushing for in staff chat for a while but from what I have been told DarkAdmin is required for promotions, while the admins can move members into the staff groups and change the colour of their names, the permissions have to be set by DA. Whether its by a lack of knowledge or lack of webmaster authority I'm not sure, but there isn't a great deal of change that can happen without him, especially cause no one on the staff has any vBulletin coding know how like we formerly had on PHPBB. Not to say we are powerless but we are somewhat limited for the moment, hopefully over time we can come to a solution if DA continues to be absent.

Best we can do for now is make plans and hope DA pops in and implements them on the rare occasions he visits, until we can find a work around these issues. The site really is in need of a more dedicated web master that's for sure.

Truth is, shit's fucked behind the scenes as much as it is on the outside. Staff have very limited powers, a fraction of what we had on DD, and that makes running the forum almost impossible. Add in the completely pants moderation/approval system and the imperfect power permissions, and we're reliant on DA's dedication. As we're all aware, he isn't an active member of the community.

The points you make are valid but obvious. All has been discussed at some point or another and it all comes down to requiring some proactivity from DA, which is not happening. Basically, we're here for the ride. Hopefully DA will chime in, because I'm not going to sugarcoat it, unless some big shift occurs, it's downhill from here.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Krustalien View Post
    Truth is, shit's fucked behind the scenes as much as it is on the outside. Staff have very limited powers, a fraction of what we had on DD, and that makes running the forum almost impossible. Add in the completely pants moderation/approval system and the imperfect power permissions, and we're reliant on DA's dedication. As we're all aware, he isn't an active member of the community.

The points you make are valid but obvious. All has been discussed at some point or another and it all comes down to requiring some proactivity from DA, which is not happening. Basically, we're here for the ride. Hopefully DA will chime in, because I'm not going to sugarcoat it, unless some big shift occurs, it's downhill from here.

???

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krustalien View Post

???
    I definitely know what you mean. I mean, I knew these points were probably brought up some time internally but it's those points that get to me the most. I can't stress enough on how much I love the community and I don't want to see it die off. I know it's quite unprofessional but I had mentioned to various staff members including Elliott when he was in charge about myself re-joining the staff team to help as much as I can albeit my previous position or something along the lines of Animation Team/Leader. When I brought it with up DarkAdmin, in my mind I felt like he was trying to say, "no fuck you" (he obviously didn't, it was just the impression I was under) towards the statement that I had made not only for myself, but for the people who work their asses off on this forum and might have a shot at a staff position. This is unprofessional because when you run a forum, you want to have a consistent number of staff members to compensate for how many members we have on this site. Granted, you don't want to overdo it but I kind of think of it like work shifts due to time-zone differences. If you know those particular members are going to be on when you are going to bed, it would eliminate the spam because there would be an equal amount of work going into each staff member because you'd have X amount doing what they need to do at one time while Y can do the same thing when they get on. I dunno, maybe it's stupid but it's the way I look at it.

Veteran Enthusiast
    More staff won't solve it. You don't understand how terrible the approval/disapproval and banning system is. On DD you could ban IP's and multiple members at once. You could also disapprove and/or approve all posts instead of manually clicking them all and pressing delete, which takes nearly forever since bots come in nearly every damn day.

Here it's all slow, you ban members, delete like 20 threads of spam which takes ages and then you get an influx of them the next day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast