Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

Advice for a friend

Don't ask why this is in a spam pit. The story that goes with the question is pretty interesting I guess <_<

A friend of mine named Brock has been bugging me about something for a long time. He's 17 or 18 and still lives with his parents. He doesn't own a own car, but his parents are somewhat rich and he drives their Audi around. The thing is, he took a turn too sharply and jumped over a curb. Some guy cut him off as he was going over the curb, and he tried to brake. He missed the brake pedal (I dunno how) and hit the accelerator instead. Then he crashed it into a tree. It's a pretty unlikely story, but I was in the car when it happened, so I can back him up on it. Pretty much, one side of the car is completely smashed in and the hood is messed up. He took it into a repair shop, and they said it was a write off. The car's a few years old, so it would cost a lot more to replace the parts than to buy a new one altogether.

So he's asking me for advice on what to do. Here's his 2 options:

1. Good 'ol insurance. His parents insurance does cover the damage. However, he uses this logic. He's 17 or 18. If the insurance company finds out that he crashed an expensive car, he'll face ridiculously high insurance rates for the rest of his life.

2. Pay his dad back in cash. His dad doesn't need the car, and is willing for him to pay him $15,000 (value of the car) instead of going to the insurance company.

He's leaning towards the second option because he feels that a few years of paychecks when he lives with his parents aren't as important and constantly high insurance rates for the rest of his life, when he's living on his own and stuff like rent could be jeopardized.

What would you do?

By the way, this isn't one of those stories where I ask advice for a friend, but I'm really the one in the situation <_< I'm a good driver. The only accident I've gotten in is one time when I was stopped at a red light, and a fire truck whipped around a corner on an icy road and slammed the back of my car.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Dedicated Member

Well, I'd have to say option 2 if he can handle it. I mean, option 1 will lead to more problems further down the road so his best bet would be to just get it out of the way now without having to worry about inflated insurance rates in the future.

But, this is assuming he can cover the cost of the car. If he can't, he really doesn't have much of a choice.

^Click this and I won't slay you. It's COURTESY!!!^

I'd go for number 2, assuming his dad lets him.
    Insurance is a bitch as it is, no need to make it worse for yourself if you don't have to.

Unless he has Allstate®'s Accident Forgiveness® plan.

Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro
    Defainatly number 2. Easy choice.
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

Well, if he's going to go to his dad anyway....

Perhaps have his dad cover for the insurance? That way nobody knows about him crashing the car. (Just a thought)

But I would go to option 2 if you can't do the above. Just because it's less money.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

[center:1dyohg2y]I miss everyone. [/center:1dyohg2y]