Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Have you ever Lost/Damaged a textbook and had to pay for it?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 50.00%
  • No

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Textbooks

Textbooks

Okay, well -

My dumb-ass dog just tore apart a $100 Human Geography textbook.

Completely ate a part of the cover about 2 inches high and 1.5 inches across, and ate a hole about 5-6 pages in...

So...it's a school textbook. How much do you think I'll get charged for it?

I don't think they'll have to replace it, he was kind enough to stop at the page before the table of contents...but he ate through the cover...and it's a HARDCOVER book...

If the original cost was like $100, then how much would I probably owe the school?
    *Sigh*, he just HAD to eat through the cover...

If you wanna see it, here.

The red is where my dog ate through it.

Feel free to share any and all stories concerning textbooks being lost/damaged/stolen, too. It may make me feel better.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Enthusiast

probably like 5 bucks maybe ten not that damaged much i have payed a couple of bucks for bent conrner of a couple of pages my school makes you pay for any little mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo Da Vinci
    "Our life is made by the deaths of others."

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Since the important pages in intact, they could get it fixed up.. and it won't have the old cover - cost would be about $10 - $20 I think..

And I have never been in a dilemma, cuz I manage to find my books (or the time I got in trouble for a book they had for months).

Was it a brand new book, because if it is, phew, you might want to move to Romania or something. My school goes crazy over fines on brand new books, but then, after a year or two, they typically dont charge as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bari Bang
    Was it a brand new book, because if it is, phew, you might want to move to Romania or something. My school goes crazy over fines on brand new books, but then, after a year or two, they typically dont charge as much.
    Brand-new...we actually had to wait because they hadn't gotten em yet...

Oh well, off to Romania.

(Hopefully not. I'm praying to every deity I know of that it's maybe $20-$30...)
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I had to pay $260 to replace my biology book last year. The reason is that it was HUGE. It had some grade 9/10 science in it, all of grade 11 biology, all of grade 12 biology, some pre-university biology and a select few pieces of actual university level biology info in it. Although I totally lost it, so it's not just aesthetic damage like yours.

Good luck <_<
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I had to pay $260 to replace my biology book last year. The reason is that it was HUGE. It had some grade 9/10 science in it, all of grade 11 biology, all of grade 12 biology, some pre-university biology and a select few pieces of actual university level biology info in it. Although I totally lost it, so it's not just aesthetic damage like yours.

Good luck <_<
    I actually feel a hell of a lot better now.

If a several grade book costs $190 to completely replace...then a one-grade book that's damaged shouldn't cost as much. Maybe $50. HOPEFULLY.

Thanks, Matt!

EDIT: Lol, got the price wrong. $260? I don't feel so good anymore.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y

Quote Originally Posted by Xmpt
    It shouldn't be too much. 100$ sure would be overboard and your school wouldn't be that mean. In my Biology class, half of the front cover (of a hard cover book) was ripped off. Graffiti is all over the books too. Talk about a teacher, and horrible students, eh?

Don't get so down... If it is a hundred bucks, then whatever, get a job or something to pay it off D:
    Hmmm...there may actually be a good side to this...

Perhaps I can use this to convince my dad to let me get a job...

Good idea, Xmpt.

I feel better now.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xenomorph911
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt

Good luck <_<
    I actually feel a hell of a lot better now.

If a several grade book costs $190 to completely replace...then a one-grade book that's damaged shouldn't cost as much. Maybe $50. HOPEFULLY.

Thanks, Matt!

EDIT: Lol, got the price wrong. $260? I don't feel so good anymore.
    Yeah, I remembered it being $190. I found the actual transcript they gave me telling me how much it was worth inside my desk though, and it was 260.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

I've lost a textbook or two over the years, but I've always managed to find them in one piece.

The only real damage I had with one of my textbooks was water damage, where the book and the pages got all warped and crap. It was only the top and the bottom of the book that was warped, they didn't make me pay anything.

Last year in middle school, I think they made you pay a big percentage of the cost of the book if it got damaged, but I dunno about this year. That sucks man, I know your budget and what you're saving up for =/...

Well, if you get a job, let me come work with you, my budget isn't that great either.

Good luck xeno.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast