Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: European Travel

European Travel

So I'm travelling to Europe this summer (Germany, France, Italy, etc...) and was wondering if anyone who either has been there or lives there has advice about anything that may be helpful. I'm mostly concerned about dealing with people and trying not to appear too much like a tourist. I already know a decent amount of German and I'll be with people who can speak French and Italian (Not to mention I'm sure a lot of people there speak English) so I'm not worried much about translation issues. Is there any type of food I should try or place I should see? Are there any important cultural things I should keep in mind while there? Basically any tidbit of knowledge or stories will be helpful.

And just so this thread is not only about me, feel free to share any of your stories or plans of travel to another foreign speaking country.
    "An expensive watch will never buy you more time" theminimalists
    PM for CC - My Thread - Reference Collection - Forum Rules

Re: European Travel

German people, feel free to tell me about Munich.

What to eat? What to do? What to drink? Where to go? Anything.

Go.
    [center:2dzq3wup][tn=425:2dzq3wup]http://i.cubeupload.com/Ny2md9.jpg[/tn:2dzq3wup][/center:2dzq3wup]

Is it more of a road trip or you actually want to see cultural stuff?
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

I did a Euro trip last year and spent most of my time in France. France is an awesome place, judging from the places I went to (Paris and Nice). You have to try snails, it sounds weird but they are amazing! I was told to always check my pockets constantly and avoid people offering to show you things, or get you to gamble. This may sound racist but it is true. There are a lot of Africans who will try and sell you cheap miniature replicas of things on every single fucking corner (Paris only). Overall Paris is a cool place, but standing under the Eifel Tower is scary. There are army officers standing around with Famas' which is pretty crazy.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

I was in Amsterdam for a while, but everything is dutch so if you don't want to look like a tourist i wouldn't go o the netherlands unless someone you know can speak dutch. However overall Amsterdam was a fun place to go to even though i was only there for hardly a day.

Pingu

oxymoron

What Camelshark said about Paris is true. When you go to Paris people will ask you to hold things for them and then they won't take it back and demand a price for it and they're gambling in the streets which is an obvious scam. Don't fall for any of that and you're good in Paris.

If you want to buy anything at a giftshop, just hold the item you want, look at it as if you hate it and say it's too much, then walk away. Every time I did that in Barcelona, Salou and Paris I was able to get at least 15 euros off of the prices because they will follow you and ask you for your price. My friend even got a watch for 10 euros which was originally 45 euros. That won't work in cities like Amsterdam or Berlin a lot, though. Only in those cheap "side-street" shops.

TL;DR don't fall for any smooth talking people and negotiate about the prices because it'll work.

Have fun in Europe and if you're going to Amsterdam I might be able to stop by.

It's true about Amsterdam that there are no English signs or whatsoever. Everything is in dutch. However, most dutch people speak very decent English, you'll always be able to communicate with everyone. Thought I just share that.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Ward
    My friend even got a watch for 10 euros which was originally 45 euros.
    Haha, thats what my mum did, the guy kept running off whenever there were cops and then coming back to find us. He kept on saying it was half price and that it was 45 euros, but he never said what the original price was. She ended up getting it for 10 euros as well as your friend.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Mecha
    France, Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Mecha
    I'm sure a lot of people there speak English
    Don't count on it.

If you're going to France and Italy, Paris and Rome are the obvious places you should visit. Both cities are beautiful in every way. Rome is especially unbelievable; there's literally a landmark on every corner. There really isn't any specific place that you should visit in either of these cities, as you'll find yourself submersed wherever you go. Be prepared for rude/sarcastic/horny waitors in Italy, though. It's also worth mentioning that if you try to speak French to a waitor in Paris, it's likely that they'll pick up on your accent and refuse to speak anything but English back to you. It's quite infuriating.

I'd also recommend going to the east, if you have a chance. Virtually no-one in Eastern Europe speaks English, but I don't think you'll have gotten a real impression of Europe until you go there. From my limited experience, O?wi?cim (the town where Auschwitz is) and Kraków are both interesting places in Poland that you should visit if you have the chance. Be prepared for extreme eeriness, though. Putting the concentration camps aside, the people in Poland are generally cold/distant, and there is a very high crime rate. We got stalked by some guy for an hour as soon as we stepped off the train. If you're using public transport, be aware that the trains are made of potatoes.

Speaking of eeriness, Belgium is also an interesting place. It's very solemn though, so be prepared for scarcely populated cities and endless graveyards. However, if you visit Ieper (Ypres), there are plenty of worthwile WW1 museums. It's also the most relaxing place I've ever been; from what I've seen people there just lounge around outside cafés and smoke cigars.
    what is homo love?

If they give you appetizers, they are certainly not for free. And I had tons of great experiences in Lisbon, you should visit it if you have the time.