Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Enthusiast

Audio Technica ATH CKS1000, (Audiophile Thread)

hey DarkDemon, I just bought these earbuds on recommendation from my friend, and was wondering if anyone here had experience with this brand or better yet this model? I hear the mids are not perfect but become better after a burn in. I'm thinking of burning them in for 100 or so hours off the start, although unlike my IE8s, it doesn't say that's necessary. is that a good idea?

also audiophile general thread

Re: Audio Technica ATH CKS1000, (Audiophile Thread)

I suppose it can never hurt, but I don't see a reason why. I believe there is a scientific measurable difference but that it isn't distinguishable by humans. Just start using them and if they actually "burn in" it's a welcome bonus.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Depends on the situation, I'm not a huge fan of buds, more one the headphone side for my part but if you want to listen to badly produced wubshit, those 'super bass' things should be fitting, though those things look uncomfy as fuck to wear and imo around 100$ of the price is for the brand, do some research get some cheaper manufactured no-name brand with the same technology and save those 100$ but yeah, too late now, good buy..

On the 'audiophile' topic, I'm using Superlux HD668, cheap as fuck (20$), same sound as any headphones in the 100 - 170$ price-range, hurray for china. They got an nice neutral sound, because if I want forced bass, I can stick my head into a subwoofer.
    I listen to a broad variation of music, so focusing on the lows would be fucking stupid. For your next buy, get some studio Hi-Fi hardware and EQ it properly, that way you can get rid of this 'super-bass' bullshit, which is used to lure in bassheads like you claim to be. You can also get an mini-AMP, exactly designed for portable use, that way you can get the most out of your earbud/headphones, if they aren't already EQ'd to force out the low's for SUPERB BOASS WOLOLO.

And the list goes on, what are you planning to use them on? Your phone? Because a phone, even a good one, is one of the worst sources for reference you can get for audio, it kinda bottlenecks your earbuds, unless you get an AMP to correct the missing hardware of your phone.

Well, at least you didn't bought beats.

Also, 'burning in' is fucking stupid, you shelled out 170$ dorra for this, just use them, seriously.

tl;dr
    Get an amp, EQ your shit, stay away from anything thats focused on bass and do some own proper research before buying things, I mean those are your ears and no one can recommend the perfect piece of hardware for you.
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Enthusiast

well i don't wanna get like custom modelled earbuds, and i like good quality sound but on the go, so no big headphones since they're clunky. I've got some decent headphones here at home. I've actually never had a comfort problem with any earbud, since my ears don't really feel anything (I'm weird like that) and I've liked my audio technica ath ck10s in the past, so i would buy it again. I have Sennheiser IE8s for when i'm at home, and since i will just basically constrain these to my ipod, i'll just not bother burning them in like you said and fix the mids with eq, since i wont have to change it.

these earbuds do emphasize bass but i researched them and read reviews and some forums which say the highs and the bass is great, but there's a problem with the mids that apparently fixes itself after a lot of listening.

edit- this is one of the good reviews i read

Well as long as you like them it's all good, just get an decent mini-AMP if you want to dig deeper into the sound. Good luck.
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Enthusiast

was considering an amp but i dont know if i wanna lug it around

All I am currently using are some standard Samsung earbuds and I really can't complain. They do a pretty good job at cancelling sound, but unlike headphones they gibe you some sense of other things, which is rather nice when you listen to music on your bike, going through often busy traffic.
    Also, earbuda have the added feature of being able to still talk to people wity only one bud in. I might invest in new earbuds or a headphone at some point, but right now I don't have any complaints.