Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Help a Geek!

1 Post Lurker

Help a Geek!

I am posting here because I could really, really use your help. I don't need money or your animations or anything. I'm not running a scam. I'm an Indianapolis high school teacher who is writing a grant, and you could probably help me just by sending an e-mail or talking to a friend. If youíve ever wanted to make a huge impact on someoneís life, this is your chance!

Here is my grant in a nutshell. Eli Lilly is giving away grants to teachers so that they can do something that they would not be able to do without their (monetary) help. They want it to be something that is renewing and refreshing to the teacher. They want the teachers to try to learn something new or stretch themselves in some way. Perhaps the best way to describe it is an educational vacation, followed by many, many hours of using what I have learned in order to create a presentation and, of course, to create lessons and activities for my students. Since I have begun creating my own animations to help my math students, my passion for animation has increased greatly. I am wanting to travel to California to interview animators and other people who contribute to animated motion pictures. I also plan to learn more about the history of animation and to immerse myself in the animated world, as well as learn how to draw and animate better. I will be visiting the Disney Family Museum, DisneyLand, Universal Studios, & the San Diego Zoo &/or Yosemite (to study & film animal movement). I already have an interview with one of the lead software engineers at SONY. Now, I am hoping to find some animators and other filmmakers associated with animated films who would be willing to give me an interview and possibly a tour of their studios.

I am especially hoping to interview someone at Pixar and Dreamworks Studios. I would be absolutely thrilled if I could meet with one of the animators and get shown around their studios to see the whole process behind creating an animated film. I can't describe how exciting that would be! I am available any day in July, 2014. Below is my contact information. If you could pass along my story & contact info to anyone who could possibly help me out, I would REALLY appreciate it. If you know people who have one of these awesome jobs and could get me an interview, I would be SO grateful! Please contact me if you have any questions, and feel free to look at my website, which has some info about my California grant. Unfortunately, my grant is due in less than two months, so I am in need of some quick help. Thank you SO much!!!

David Robertson
    National Board Certified Teacher
    North Central High School
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    drobertson@msdwt.k12.in.us
    Algebra Awesomeness - Home

I wish you the best luck with obtaining your grant, but all you'll be finding on this site are 16-year olds who like to talk about masturbation a lot.

Flume

Quote Originally Posted by DaniŽl View Post
    I wish you the best luck with obtaining your grant, but all you'll be finding on this site are 16-year olds who like to talk about masturbation a lot.
    Not true, I think I recall Shell or whatever his name was getting involved with paid animation, not sure if he is still active here but it might be worth getting in contact with him.

My success story (and why DD is involved)

Sadly it isn't much at all, but he is probably the closest I would say to having contacts with any animators on this site and he is in California. A pivot-oriented forum isn't really the right place to look, a site that is more flash/3D animation-oriented would be better. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Lush; 04 Aug 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniŽl View Post
    Hey, fuck you we talk about other stuff..... sometimes.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |