Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Where should I start?

I was looking through Web Dev/Programming, and I started to think that it would be interesting to learn some coding languages. Does anybody know where I should start?

I have a little bit of experience with ActionScript, but my CS4 trial ran out, so I'm not going forward with ActionScript.

*mods, feel free to move this to Help Center, if necessary*
    [center:s1g75gto]"I rather tell thee what is to be feared than what I fear; for always I am Caesar"

Steam Username: Blitzkrieg ( Add CrashClosed54 )[/center:s1g75gto]

Re: Where should I start?

Depends what your interested in, the web side or desktop side. For web programming start out simple and work your way up. Start with html + css and then progress. For desktop programming start out with a managed language like C# and Java where you don't have to worry about cleaning up memory.

I'm more interested in web design/programming, but I heard that CSS is really complicated. Where can I start HTML? Is it a download? if so, can you give me a link? this probably sounds really noobish, lol, but I know nothing about web design.
    [center:s1g75gto]"I rather tell thee what is to be feared than what I fear; for always I am Caesar"

Lol. No it's not a download.

www.w3schools.com

CSS isn't complicated, once you know the syntax it's straight forward, as with most languages.

CSS isn't "greatly" simple. Even with the syntax you can to hit pitfalls for browser specific bugs, learning to overcome them takes experience. Unlike some other languages like PHP, where yes the environment effects the language but it's purely based on the server not the client. As with all client side rendered languages the variety of environments the code excutes can have a different effect for one person than another.

It's just whether you care enough to make your code adapt for different environments, i.e different browsers.

Simply Mike, some languages run on the client, the user / viewers machine. The setup whether it be resolution, operating system or browser may effect.. for instance how your website looks depending on peoples setup. If someone is using Firefox, it may look fine, whereas someone using IE it may not. Tons of variables. But HTML - XHTML, CSS are highly valuable languages.

Google for some tutorials and have a play about.

Ok, thanks guys, this can be locked now.