Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KTU
    Dedicated Member

KayTeeYou.com (Delta)

The product of a spontaneous idea to create my own website, even though I already had one.

http://www.kayteeyou.com

My own personal space. In terms of design, it's finished. I still have content to add, though, and I figured that a random sampling of test subjects could help me debug better than I could on my own.

It's mostly based around a PHPBB setup, with a few extra limbs added on.
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Re: KayTeeYou.com (Delta)

Not bad. I like the header graphic. Not sure about the top right nav links though. GJ.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

I had them just above the top right corner of the container, but they wouldn't stick when I tried to add the CSS to the board style. The positioning was all over the place, so I just said 'fuck it' and put them at the top. It's something I'll look into though.

I'm not a fan of the design, but from a code point of view it's very nice. I love the way you've used PHP with it.

Like I said the nav could do with some work.

Veteran Enthusiast ULTRA1337piv0tz's Avatar

Put the nav where the 'extra links' are.
    Steam: xendlessnl

Devoted Veteran

I think it looks great, you've done an amazing job. Although, like you've acknowledged already; the forums are a bad colour, and an even worse colour with the gradient behind them.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Updated a bunch of stuff: (http://www.kayteeyou.com/)

- Gutted the entire phpbb script and modified it to suit my needs
    - Added a detailed comment system to the blog (example)
    - Redesigned some of the layout to load faster (larger images are now smaller with multiple parts)

It's still extremely bare-bones, and there's a lot more functionality left to add. I'm starting to wish I had annotated my code, because I keep finding myself lost in my own code, especially when I leave something undone overnight and try to finish it in the morning. More than once I rewrote hundreds of lines of code and markup because I saw the code and didn't understand it. When the site is finished I plan to rewrite the entire site in OOP, which I didn't do from the beginning because I had no idea what I wanted to do with this site and OOP is a real pain if you don't have a set plan before you start.

Also, the links in my signature are dynamically drawn images that get data from the site and generate an image containing the site name and the title of the article.

"had no idea what I wanted to do with this site and OOP is a real pain if you don't have a set plan before you start."

I don't find that at all. In fact it's often easier to design and split code components in a modular format from the very start. OO is designed for creating the building blocks as it were. The concept of OO is to scale whereas procedural doesn't.

The issue is, you have to be good at designing from the very start.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I don't find that at all. In fact it's often easier to design and split code components in a modular format from the very start. OO is designed for creating the building blocks as it were. The concept of OO is to scale whereas procedural doesn't.
    That's true, but it's much easier to tweak and add extra functionality when you code procedurally since you don't have to edit the whole class structure to accept an extra parameter in a function. Going in with OOP in mind is much easier if you have a plan, which I didn't. I just added whatever came to mind.

The site's not completely procedural though. The comments area is a recursive function that I will be adding to every page that can be commented on.

But like I said, I will be rewriting the site in OOP once all the basic functionality is finished.

That's true, but it's much easier to tweak and add extra functionality when you code procedurally since you don't have to edit the whole class structure to accept an extra parameter in a function. Going in with OOP in mind is much easier if you have a plan, which I didn't. I just added whatever came to mind.
    You've not used OOP enough then. The reason OOP was brought about was to scale. Minor tweaks in large scale applications are easier in OO environments, it's a fact.

If you have to do major work and you're editing entire classes that's down to poor design. OO means you should correctly segment everything which allow for rapid changes, a few properties here, and few functions there.

I've been working on a big project at work. Without OO the project would never be developed as fast. Procedural code is fine on small sites / systems like yours, but on big projects it fails to grow.

To me OO is pointless on your site it's too simple to require it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast