Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Dedicated Member

Minecraft Server- stupid question.

I know, I know, this is probably really easy, but I just don't get it, and was hoping this is in the right place to get some help. I'll try not to be an idiot this time.

Basically, I was trying to set up a Minecraft server with a Byethost account, which I had read somewhere was possible. Unfortunately, they didn't say how. So I eventually just set an account up, uploaded the software, and got stuck. Here's the hitch.

In the readme it says enter this command on any other system besides windows:

Code:
    java -cp minecraft-server.jar com.mojang.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer
    So I mess around, look for a command option in Filezilla, and eventually find one and enter it.

Command: java -cp minecraft-server.jar com.mojang.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer
    Response: 500 Unknown command
    Should I be doing something else? I want to set up a server, but cant seem to get this to work, and don't want it on my computer at home. I had heard about some other software for servers, but never found it. Do I need that?
    [center:2s1p98zp]|Thread|Hosting Guide|Collab Tips|
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1250795438.png[/img][/center:2s1p98zp]

Re: Minecraft Server- stupid question.

You're following the guide for a dedicated server. Unless you own a VPS or Private Server you cannot host a minecraft server on a hosting plan.