Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Beginning to Program

So not long ago I've decided I want to try my hand at some programming. Maybe developing an application.

As of now I'm learning the basics of what a programming language consists of. I'm stuck between two different languages, Python and C#. So far I understand all the basics and what most of the terms means to put together a simple application. Both Python and C# are actually understandable to me. I get how to put Booleans together, I understand what the difference is between Strings, Integers, Floats, etc.

I even understand how to build Lists, Tuples, and Dictionaries.

However I'm having a hard time trying to actually use what I've learned currently to build something useful. It's like I'm not thinking like a programmer, it's getting quite difficult.

Does anybody know where I should begin? Projects that are simple enough but will allow me to expand on my knowledge? What language should I stick with for now?

I feel stuck.
    [center:2wtks7im][/center:2wtks7im]
    [center:2wtks7im]Anybody want to learn Python/Pygame with me?

Feel free to get a hold of me via:
    }-- Email: Hbattlezone@gmail.com || Steam: [DD} Hbattlezone || Skype: Hbz --{

Or just PM me [/center:2wtks7im]

Re: Beginning to Program

Start with Python. And about the not knowing what to make; if you don't know what to code then are you sure you want to be learning a programming language?

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Start with Python. And about the not knowing what to make; if you don't know what to code then are you sure you want to be learning a programming language?
    Good question.

I'm wanting to have a general sense of programming under my belt for various work. Whether that be working on a script for a major application, building a new application for a curtain purpose, or maybe even developing framework for a game.

I'm wanting to learn a language as a hobby. I think it's really fun learning something new that I could perhaps use later in a career.

I'm wanting to know if there's a site for different projects I could tackle for practice.
    [center:2wtks7im][/center:2wtks7im]
    [center:2wtks7im]Anybody want to learn Python/Pygame with me?

Feel free to get a hold of me via:
    }-- Email: Hbattlezone@gmail.com || Steam: [DD} Hbattlezone || Skype: Hbz --{

Or just PM me [/center:2wtks7im]

I guess half of being a programmer is having the ideas to start new projects. Why not try things like a web browser or a FTP client. Useful utilities.

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

A project does not have to be something others will use it can be just small apps to develop skills. You can make an app that utilizes the Yahoo weather API. Maybe a text editor, image loader and viewer, your version of the simple card game high or low. You can then put the code on developer forums and get feedback on the way you designed and coded it increasing your abilities. Books are also a good resource as some provide info you may not find easily on the web + some come with exercises and projects.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Thinking like a programmer means you have an understanding of the concepts behind it deeper than the language you are programming in. In general, this means attacking the problem you are trying to solve from an angle in which any language can be applied. With this in mind I would advise you to start with more abstract concepts than utilities and applications, to familiarize yourself with the logic underlying the language. If you already have a grasp on basic constructs such as conditional statements (if, else), the use of arithmetic (+, -, *, /, mod), logical (and, or, not) and equivalence (==, >=, <=, !=) operators, and loops (for, while), I would recommend testing yourself on the challenges at Project Euler, which can be done in any language. This will help get you into the mindset of a programmer and how to look at a given problem (say, developing a simple application).

Once you are in the mindset, you will find it much easier to approach projects that you want to take on. Some basic ones I would suggest would be text adventure games, simple simulations like a 2d fish tank where the fish could reproduce, die off etc, an RSS feed reader, and many more. You could literally go anywhere with it, the sky is the limit. There are a lot of interesting projects to try at Nifty Assignments, as well resources to help get you started on the right track for each project.

As for the language you learn, as long as it makes sense to you (and you have a reasonable development environment, ie. not Notepad or Word), it doesn't really matter. I grew up on C++, spent several years programming in PHP for the web, learned Java in university and am now tackling Lisp, and while every language has its niche, I found it quite easy to transition from one to the other since I had a good foundation in the science behind programming to support me.

I hope this helps and wasn't too long winded.
    TL;DR: learn logic before you program
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]