Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where To Learn It

I've decided to learn C++ and java. Does anyone know where the best places to learn are? Tutorials?

[s:h00ovzkw]Though I've googled this relentlessly, I still haven't found out which programming language I have to learn if I want to make a computer program like Microsoft Word or Paint. I don't have a big project to make, I just realize this will probably take longer to learn that anything I've had to do before and so I've decided to start learning now.

I also realize that it's probably not a strait forward answer, so It would be great if I could get the whole answer.[/s:h00ovzkw]

[spoiler:n0wbhfsc][/spoiler:n0wbhfsc]

Ward for Administrator

Enthusiast

Re: What To Learn

this is probably wrong, but visual basic right?
    [center:7qmqkz8r]In God We Trust.[/center:7qmqkz8r]

If you're looking for a language with an easy syntax then VB.NET, or Python would be suitable. I recommend that you try both though, since they're vastly different from each other.

If you're a little more confident and want a more complex and powerful language, then I'd recommend C#/C++. With C# you have less to worry about than C++, and the syntax is a little easier to follow.
    what is homo love?

Thanks

Ward for Administrator

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I'll recommend C++ just because there's so much information about it out there. Everyone has done everything imaginable using it, so if you need help you'll have no problem finding it. Not to mention it has an infinite anumber of resources that can make your project easier if you choose to use them. Plus, if you ever want to continue programming in the future, it's pretty much a standard for teaching/employment so that's always a positive.

I suppose the one downside is that it's generally considered harder than other languages but I'd say that's more of a myth than anything. It just relatively strict compared to other programming languages and forces you to develop good habits. I would say that knowing C++ definitely helped me when I learned MATLAB, since even though MATLAB is much more forgiving than C++, the things I learned using C++ made my MATLAB codes much more structured and efficient. Likewise, when I learned some Assembly (even stricter than C++) for a microprocessor class at university, it helped my C++ coding by making me pay even more attention to details in it. I don't think learning a stricter language is a bad thing by any means.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Thanks so much! I don't mind about it being hard, I always knew it would be, and I always make sure my programming is "grammatically correct" anyways.

I'll start learning it now...

Does anyone know how I might embed C++ or Python into a webpage as an online tool?

Ward for Administrator

The Little Frij

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlade
    Thanks so much! I don't mind about it being hard, I always knew it would be, and I always make sure my programming is "grammatically correct" anyways.

I'll start learning it now...

Does anyone know how I might embed C++ or Python into a webpage as an online tool?
    I don't think you can, to embed it into a webpage you might need to use action script or java script if you want a basic application.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlade
    You can embed Python/C++ into a webpage using cgi.

http://docs.python.org/howto/webservers.html
    http://www.guyrutenberg.com/2007/08/10/ ... -to-c-cgi/

Although if you're going to do a lot of web programming, I'd find a language that's specifically suited to the job such as PHP.
    what is homo love?

^^
    Thanks, I already know the basics of PHP. I won't be using it to create a whole webpage, and most likely none of this will be put on the web.

My last post was a bad choice of words, sorry for that.

I'm interested in how to embed a small applet into an html document. Like a computer game or sumo paint (though I suspect most of that is java). The code for it is something like

<embed src="(random text)/app/(random text)" />

but I'm not sure exactly what.

The other thing is that whatever is made has to be usable on both mac and windows. Does C++ do that? Does Python?

Ward for Administrator

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

I'm not sure on C++ but python is cross platform as long as the user has python installed. I think only java and flash can be embedded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast