Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

swfLib - A PHP-based SWF Library

[center:yz030fc4][/center:yz030fc4]
    What Is swfLib?

• SwfLib is essentially a PHP library that is used to work with the SWF file format. It's class based and scalable to allow for future updates as the SWF file format is revised.

What can it do?

• SwfLib can do a lot of things. In essence, it's an accessible on-the-fly SWF decompiler, but currently isn't meant to be used in such a manner. Instead, it's focus is to give web developers a greater set of tools when working with flash files. Most information contained within a SWF file can theoretically be pulled out.

For example, swfLib can read text found within a SWF file. This has a practical application for a web developer because it can be used to create META tags for a page. META tags can allow for better search engine rankings, and even better targeted ads, which can in turn lead directly to more profits.

SwfLib is even useful for designers of websites! With built in methods for detecting a SWF file's dimensions, the number of frames, the framerate, the background color, and even the Actionscript version, swfLib can be used in tandem with a layout to deliver a better experience.

Show me.

• Feel free to check out the swfLib demo site here. You can upload your own SWF file to see what sorts of information can be pulled from it. If you'd like to see a more specific example, click here to see what sort of information can be pulled from the Royco Cup-A-Soup animation.

So where can I get it?

• At this point in time, I am not publicly distributing swfLib.

Footnote

• If you're confused as to why I'm posting this, I'd like to clarify that I'm pretty proud of this library and really just want to show people what I can do. I'm definitely excited about how practical this library is for PHP programmers in our community, and am willing to talk about what went into this.

I'd also love to hear your suggestions, if any, on what I should add to this in the future. Right now I'm writing an extension to it that allows me to pull out image files used in the animation, as well as streaming music.

Re: swfLib - A PHP-based SWF Library

This looks pretty good, actually, very neat lay-out.
    I'd suggest adding the following features;
    - A direct BB-code, for showing SWF's on fora, without having to link to it.
    - A view count.
    - Options to add a title.

Here's my try at it.

Oh lmfao, it's not actually meant to be used as a file host. My file hosting websites is http://www.fileize.com which has more of what you're looking for. I may make a topic for that in the near future because I'm redesigning that site as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Oh lmfao, it's not actually meant to be used as a file host. My file hosting websites is http://www.fileize.com which has more of what you're looking for. I may make a topic for that in the near future because I'm redesigning that site as well.
    Yeah, but it looks so sexy, Jeff... And I don't like the name of Fileize, swfLib appeals to me much more.

The new Fileize design is much better and more functional than current fileize and swfLib

The new Fileize design is much better and more functional than current fileize and swfLib
    When is the new Fileize-design going to be launched?

It's a good idea, and I can see myself using it. It would be interesting to see if you could actually edit the content of an swf, although I'm not sure what the implications of re-compiling a swf would be in PHP.
    what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    It's a good idea, and I can see myself using it. It would be interesting to see if you could actually edit the content of an swf, although I'm not sure what the implications of re-compiling a swf would be in PHP.
    I actually can do that now. I only have a bit reader with this, but I can easily add in functions to write. I can see several practical applications for it, too, like dynamically inserting a watermark to uploaded content or altering actionscript on the fly.

I may actually look at writing the watermarking side of it. That interests me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    When is the new Fileize-design going to be launched?
    Fairly soon. I don't have an exact date because I've been tackling a bunch of things at once, but it's like 90% done.