Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Suggested Sites

Suggested Sites

I noticed (and by noticed I meant flipping through...I don't know 5 pages? I'm so hardworking) that we don't have a thread listing resources to help with ideas and coding. Also, do we have a search bar? Am I retarded in not knowing where it is if we have it?

Anyways, I found this really nice site that helps with visual aid in designing your websites. Some of you may deem it as too "hipster" or "repetitive" but there are some gems in there. In my opinion, anyway.

CSS Remix

Please post other resources and sites that you think will help developers/designers/programmers and how. I'm a beginner myself, just to let you know. Thanks!

Re: Suggested Sites

If you open the 'Extras' tab, it actually shows there's a 'Search' button.

And for design help, a real man has enough with CSS and HTML doing it by the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lympha

And for design help, a real man has enough with CSS and HTML doing it by the hand.
    Thanks for that! I do learn a lot from doing things myself but I like seeing other people's contributions (especially if they're willing). Also, I have a vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by Lympha

If you even looked at the website, it's for visual inspiration; which is an important aspect to web design. Drawing inspiration and creating new ideas.

I've been doing web design for years. I've recently poured a lot of money into resources to brush up my skills to a professional level.

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/

The tutsplus is an excellent network. This blog has loads of articles on everything to do with web dev, from typography theory to code snippets and tutorials. Great for beginners and experienced programmers

I'd be happy to help you out if you want some help getting to grips with different languages.

Also I'm going to turn this into a web dev general thread. It'd be nice for me to have somewhere to discuss it since I've taken it back up in a serious way. I'm working towards either a job in web development or to go freelance. Or both. I'm currently reading PHP, MySQL and Javascript, a book by Robin Nixon. I also have a subscription to the online "school" service that Tutsplus do. Has loads of great videos.

Here are some screenshots of stuff I'm working on at the moment.

This one is fully XHTML and CSS coded at the moment. I'm working on implementing a CMS at the moment which is proving quite fun.

[tn=400:lurekusp]http://i.imgur.com/yljnU.png[/tn:lurekusp]

This one is just a .psd at the moment but it's next on my list to slice when I've finished and sold the first one

[tn=400:lurekusp]http://i.imgur.com/aOGGp.png[/tn:lurekusp]

I actually learn best by finding elements I like from websites I visit and then trying to recreate them in photoshop or HTML/CSS myself so that I gain a better understanding of the tools at my disposal. I don't like following a tutorial because that results in something that always going to be 100% the same every time around. When you're creating in photoshop, even though you're technically copying an original idea, you can easily take what you've learned yourself and apply it to other elements, which helps to develop your own visual style. I found that when following tutorials I didn't really learn anything, and the only time I would use what I learned in the tutorial again is if I wanted to create EXACTLY what was there.

I read tutorials, not follow them. I use them to get an understanding of what it is. Say it's to create a metal text effect in photoshop, I look at the process so I know why it looks like metal and the methods used. I think that's an important thing to take into consideration when looking at tutorials.

Web development tutorials help me further my knowledge on it. Once I learn a new way to do something it'll stick and I can build from there. Techniques and snippets you learn in the tutorial may be applicable to other situations you get yourself into.

Nothing wrong with a tutorial, especially if it's well written.

I should clarify that I wasn't saying not to use Tutorials, I was offering up an alternative in case anyone reading this topic finds that tutorials don't help them as I found. A person should design however they feel comfortable. If that means you gotta use dreamweaver then that's how it is