Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Program Coding

Program Coding

So I want to just kind of do this as a weird fun hobby, but I'd like to start to learn to develop simple stuff not like the next Firefox but stuff that could specifically be useful in situations like small space, easy to use, utilities.

So basically I wanna know like where to start, I know it'll be a while til I have working programs that i made myself (if ever) I just want to see if I can figure it out.
    [center:1unt1isk]
    -Streak[/center:1unt1isk]

Re: Program Coding

If you're completely new to programming and don't want to pull your hair out, python is a great language for developing relatively simple software applications.

If you think you're ready to move onto something a little more challenging, I'd recommend going straight into C++. Alongside C this is arguably the most powerful high-level language on the windows platform, and it can be used to write memory-efficient programs of virtually any level of complexity. I think for your purposes, you'd be more suited to a language such as python right now.

If you want to go into web-based development, there are two "layers" of web programming that you need to consider: the client side and the server side. The client side is what I'd recommend you master first, and involves markup, design and scripting with languages such as HTML, CSS and Javascript. The server side is the part of the software which the server deals with, which can include file handling, login/logout systems, database functions and much more. Once you've got to grips with client side development I'd recommend learning PHP and (afterwards) Ajax.

What you specifically want to create is up to you. I'm not going to give you examples because I don't know what interests you, but really try to be creative and don't stick religiously to online/book tutorials because you'll get tired and bored very quickly.

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to pm me.
    what is homo love?

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I know this shit is pretty old but I thought I'd chime in if you're still around since this forum is pretty dead.

Listen to Hazzystan. Learn Python. I learned programming in probably the hardest way possible so use my mistakes as a lesson. This is also just me telling a long story so you can ignore it if you'd like.

The first language I properly learned was C++ in university. In my whole degree I ended up taking 4 or 5 C++ courses, and those were 4 month, full credit courses. I've always enjoyed programming, so at the time I really thought to myself that those were fun courses. The assignments were fun to solve and I did fine in every class. But I never really tried my own projects. Whenever I said "oh man I should make this cool program" it always ended in confusion. There was just too much to know. C++ is pretty much designed to be the most complex (mainstream) programming language around. There are plenty of reasons for that, and unfortunately none of them have to do with learning it. When you're learning programming, you should be focusing on abstraction and actually understanding ideas rather than learning a language. C++ sort of gets in the way of that. You get lost in a maze of libraries and and syntax and have a pretty hard time really figuring out why stuff works or doesn't. But I thought that was normal. I didn't think you could just make a program with some slick GUI without having a team of experienced programmers or something. One day I decided to try Python out and it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Everything made sense. Without details to get in the way, I quickly understood the hardest concepts that I learned in my classes which were completely over my head in C++. There were so many libraries that were so easy to use that I could pretty much make any program I wanted in a few hours, whereas in C++ I would end up giving up after a few days of searching for answers to any of the thousand problems I was having.

I'm not saying C++ is too hard or that it's impossible to learn as a new programmer or something. I would like to think that most of my knowledge came from my C++ experience, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. I also learned some hipster Assembly language (Coldfire? I don't remember) in university to program microcontrollers, and learning to do shit the hard way in Assembly made everything to do with memory in C++ a complete joke. I never had problems with pointers in C++, but holy shit, if you have problems understanding them after learning assembly you probably meet the DSM-IV criteria. And likewise, learning things the hard way in C++ made everything in Python much easier and made me more efficient and more careful with resources than most people who just use Python. But the fact of the matter is, it's always best to start out with the highest level language you can and work your way down. It doesn't take a genius to realize that when you learn something you should worry about the details after actually having a clue what the fuck is going on. There has been at least one study that has shown that languages like Python and LISP give significantly better returns to new programmers than languages like C++. I don't have a link on hand so you'll have to take my word for it I guess.

Seriously, learn Python. You'll realize very quickly whether or not you like programming. With C++ it will take a lot longer to figure it out. If, once you've invested 100 hours to get to the stage where you can make a C++ program above some dinky exercise in a textbook, you realize that programming isn't your thing, you wasted a lot of time. With Python you can make pretty complicated programs (I'm talking no experience to making presentable web apps in a month or some shit) fast enough that you'll figure out really quickly if programming is your thing or not, because you won't be able to blame it on not understanding the intricacies of the language.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

I can teach you program development and VB.net in Visual Basic. Let me know and you can be my Daniel-Sahn.
    [center:1qe0v2ve]"Some stories are better off left untold."[/center:1qe0v2ve]

Quote Originally Posted by Konspiracy
    I can teach you program development and VB.net in Visual Basic. Let me know and you can be my Daniel-Sahn.
    Please don't bump threads that haven't been active for about a week.
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm