Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aw shiet, SNES programming

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Aw shiet, SNES programming

I'm considering the possibility of making a SNES game. How cool is that shit?

For all of you curious, it's done in Assembly code, which is about as basic as it gets (besides machine code, which is compiles into).

An example of this code:
    LDA #$59; Loads in the number 89 (HEX 59 = Deciminal 89) to the A register (you don't get variables, just memory addresses and a few registers)
    STA $2100; Saves that number (89) to memory address 8448 (2100 in HEX = 8448 in Decimal)

Not sure if this is suicide, or the best idea ever. Who would want to play a SNES game that was just made though?

DD addict
    omg me! Especialy if its sprite sheets are made using pivot. That would be like an official game of DD. Whatcha think?

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sifterpivoter View Post
    omg me! Especialy if its sprite sheets are made using pivot. That would be like an official game of DD. Whatcha think?
    Lol, what? I've had no intention of any of this. Pivot would be terrible at making a sprite.

Banned
    This might come to you as a shock, but this format is a little old.
    Gary likes this.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MCToast View Post
    This might come to you as a shock, but this format is a little old.
    Wow, none of you kids have any idea what you're talking about. The idea of a new SNES game coming out makes me practically shit my pants. Both of you must be underaged b&.

I'm going to try to make this puppy. The best RPGs ever made are all on the SNES, which kind of proves something. I'm also making an RPG.

Maybe I should've waited to make this post for when I actually had some progress.
    Extra likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Wow, none of you kids have any idea what you're talking about. The idea of a new SNES game coming out makes me practically shit my pants. Both of you must be underaged b&.

I'm going to try to make this puppy. The best RPGs ever made are all on the SNES, which kind of proves something. I'm also making an RPG.

Maybe I should've waited to make this post for when I actually had some progress.
    He was joking...

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Lol, what? I've had no intention of any of this. Pivot would be terrible at making a sprite.
    Not only that, but I don't think Pivot would even work for making sprites for a SNES game. I haven't looked into the development of SNES games, so I don't know exactly as to what the SDK and stipulations are for even making a SNES game.

I for one am surprised to see that you are going to do this Nev, I'm with you on this one. I'm excited to see how your game comes out, and it'd be nice if you could manufacture actual homebrew cartridges for those like myself who enjoy the box and feel of a cartridge. Good luck with endeavor man, keep me posted!
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    Not only that, but I don't think Pivot would even work for making sprites for a SNES game. I haven't looked into the development of SNES games, so I don't know exactly as to what the SDK and stipulations are for even making a SNES game.

I for one am surprised to see that you are going to do this Nev, I'm with you on this one. I'm excited to see how your game comes out, and it'd be nice if you could manufacture actual homebrew cartridges for those like myself who enjoy the box and feel of a cartridge. Good luck with endeavor man, keep me posted!
    From the sounds of it, I can get it on cartridges pretty easily, but probably not all too cost effectively. But I see plenty of people willing to pay a little more for a SNES considering.

Making a SNES game seems pretty doable; it's all assembly, so you basically just access all of the RAM addresses and you're on your own. But it seems to have a good community and wiki of people who are die hard fans of this, so I'm not just totally lost either. Some fans have made the trickier bits easy, namely with sprites, and the initial setup.

Some of the features that exist are actually quite complex. You can do all sorts of effects, and masking, and things I wasn't sure a SNES could even do, so I think it's going to be a lot of fun figuring that sort of stuff out.

cool.What kind of game will it be?RPG?
    Also,are you going to upload a ROM,because I don't have a SNES?

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Ado dragon View Post
    cool.What kind of game will it be?RPG?
    Also,are you going to upload a ROM,because I don't have a SNES?
    Yes to both of those. I'm planning an RPG about a human-like shark named G.I. Jaws. I plan on trying to sell a ROM download for maybe $5 or so, but like all ROMs I'm sure I'll probably be a victim of piracy, but I'm not too worried if people play it for free too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast