Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Iceguy
    The white curve behind Graphic Portal annoys me, makes it looks like Graphie Portal.

The rest of it looks clean and nice, maybe add in the ability to see the submission name/artist name when you hover the mouse over the images. I take it that last image you've posted is still the front page? I feel it needs an indicator of that, but not the 'front page' text you had before.

Edit: Try 1px Borders, or none at all. They nag me too.
    The white curve isn't final. Like I said was just trying something out if I like it ima do more with it. As for the submission name/artist, this is not coded yet, just a template to get me back into web design. Not even sure if I'm going to be coding it. As for the "front page" text I had before, it was meant to show that the box was the "front page" submissions. And if you can clarify which borders nag you that would be great. The only borders greater than 1px are around the login and search forms, and the navigation text, but they are meant to be barely visible.

Thanks for the comments!

Edit: I just realized that the 3 hours I put into this template last night was a waste because I saved over the .psd with the wrong one
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSupra
    The white curve isn't final. Like I said was just trying something out if I like it ima do more with it. As for the submission name/artist, this is not coded yet, just a template to get me back into web design. Not even sure if I'm going to be coding it. As for the "front page" text I had before, it was meant to show that the box was the "front page" submissions. And if you can clarify which borders nag you that would be great. The only borders greater than 1px are around the login and search forms, and the navigation text, but they are meant to be barely visible.
    Yeah, the mouse hover thing was more of a suggestion if you hadn't thought of doing it already. I was referring to the black blocky lines running down the sides of the page. Just a personal preference
    [center:3r0jgpn9]Ancient Animation Thread | PlainBen.Deviantart.com
    Xbox Live: Plain Ben

[/center:3r0jgpn9]

Update: Not sure if I like this at all yet. Somehow I feel it's better then any other template I've designed, but seeing as the last time I designed one was like 5-6 years ago I really can't remember what they've looked like. Unfortunately I'm probably the least artistic person (can barely draw a stick figure) and have a ton of improving to do if I even want to design websites (programming is where I wanna go) but I feel like if I do want to make another website and have someone design it for me, then it's just not the same. I don't know. Lemme know what you guys think:
    http://i.imgur.com/uMOgD.png

Update 6/13/12 - Still changing up a few things. Banners looking kind of plain, any ideas of what I can add to the right?

[tn=700:3mejherz]http://i.imgur.com/Yz8v8.png[/tn:3mejherz]
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Your approach to the plan is a little head-first. A good design starts at a more basic stage. If you plan things right from the start rather than opening up photoshop and 'doing it' you will end up with a more refined product. The more detail you put into a plan the easier it is to achieve a webdesign that is exactly how you imagined it at first.

Sketch out basic layouts and the locations of elements (nav, header, content, etc) and build from there. Picking a colour scheme, where to use what colours and whatever.

Your progress is nice though. I love designs with orange used correctly and you're on the way there. I think the borders around the input boxes for the login and search are a bit too in your face. I'd say 2px or remove them. The text in the content boxes is too big too, really. Pick a nicer font, scrap the bold and lower the font size a bit. Same for the buttons.

The edge borders of the content box are way too thick too. It might look nice at a lighter colour, a bit lighter than the background or something like that. Either reduce it or scrap it.

Oh and the shine effect at the bottom of the images in the orange box would look nice at the bottom of the black header too. Would bring it out more; and you could make it stand out even more with a simple 1px drop shadow underneath.

And finally the "front page" text + effect is horrible and you should delete it :P
    All of this

I think you should try for a more creative approach, this looks kind of like a classic portal page. If you want some inspiration, go look at the Awwwards or Best Web Gallery, they have a lot of inspirational stuff (it's almost exclusively js/css3/html5 though)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12