Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GALLADE

Old Newbie

Re: That's not physics!!!

New one!

An animation not based on physics

Old Newbie
    About time for an update don't you think?

Fly
    Enthusiast

That was awesome man, very smooth. But it didn't seem like anything made him fall forward like that, and if he was jumping forward, then you need to bend his knees before. Very cool though, I'm impressed

Old Newbie
    Thanks

Here's another

Flume

Some odd/poor poses but unique in its style which is pretty cool, nice job!

Overall I think you have a really good grasp on spacing and you convey some movements and ideas really well which I love. I think you are really close to intermediate (ignoring your newest from a technical point of view), to me whats holding you back is just a few inconsistencies in poses and occasionally spacing but thats no biggie, and perhaps maybe amount of content considering a fair bit of these are run animations. Impressive stuff man, looking forward to your next update!

Keith, I love your animations dude. They all have this liquid kinda flow and they just keep moving right along. I get what you were trying to do with the newest one but Im not quite sure you pulled it off. It just came out really like... awkward? I'm not sure how to say it, I just couldn't get the feel for it guy. Maybe if they're was a different perspective where you could see the ground and where he was landing it would look better. Though you definitely have your spacing and easing down guy. Keep on animating
    ~BlueLion

Sorry for a late CC on some of your animations so prepare a lengthy post here:

The first one I'm critiquing is the Click

Spoiler:
    This was solid animation and really demonstrated a good rag-doll animation. I think it would have been nice to have some kind of indication to indicate a freezing of his movement because it felt good how he started moving,but the stop could have been more bold with some kind of effect or something of that sort.

If you notice the second hop didn't seem to been enough to get him high enough as he went. It felt like that it would been relative to the first hop, but to better demonstrate a possible of that hope you could have had him bow a bit more after the first hop and then lead into him being being frozen in once.

The dragging action of the stick via the mouse was nice and well smooth. It demonstrated that indeed mouse movement is quite frantic, but if you were going with the whole “Animator changing the position of the figure, could of showed more of a unsure to where he wants him, maybe instead of landing where he exactly wanted him, have him go past the spot and sort of arc him to the spot?

That rag-doll was a bon appetite kind of movement. The impact was perfectly represented and had a nice bounce. The only thing that maybe needed some work was the upper body. It show no real rag-doll effect and remained upright and stiff and fell to straight. You could have had the upper body sort of flex by having it arch a bit and then fall with a flop.

Overall this animation was a good animation and shows you know how to sort of connect movements.

Second: Dummy obstacle

Spoiler:
    Your idea of the fall was good and rag-doll was almost spot on, though the body maybe could have been more sprawled out because you gave it too much weight to the hips and acted like that was dragging him down, but the head would of sort of even out during the fall which by the speed lines was quick fall?

Now with the impact, there was a questionable to whether the whole following the the body may of misconstrued how the ball took off. Maybe you should of sort panned down away from the body, used the speed lines as quick transition for the camera to reach the ground first to give a view of what the body was headed for. Giving ample amount for the fall to seem believable since I feel the brief lines were too quick and yeah. By having the seesaw like contraption in view for a considerable time to show the balls placement, you can have the body then appear and send the ball sending soaring.

Now since we had speed lines I'm guessing the body was moving fast right? So then why is that the ball literally went up and came back down in flash? It felt the angle of the projection of the ball would have the hang time a bit longer and give the body enough time to land.(by the way the body bounced perfect!)

The landing of the ball was stiff and unorthodox and spotty. The hang time for the small bounce was held too long and the energy didn't feel like it was dispersed enough. There should have been more bounces, not like basketball bounce, but bowling ball bounce since the first impact gave that impression. Heck maybe add a tremor to give a better impact effect.

Once again this animation showed another good understanding of rag-doll, but need to work on in betweens of ball landing and better transition that way the speed lines don't disrupt the animation as it did with your animation.

Third: Run tripping

Spoiler:
    Hmm, the taste of this animation was ill contrived. Really it felt stiff. The run was mediocre and really choppy. I couldn't tell if your were following a center origin movement, but then when he fell I could tell he wasn't. You have a good base for an animation, but you could of made a little more variation in the movement.

I keep preaching this, but if you use the same three frames for a run, you are cutting corners.

Literally this makes up your running except for a few frames maybe.

With running you really want to make so it's believable and give a variation between the arm poses as well as how the legs angle when coming into the cross...oh and you didn't cross the legs so it felt like watching a pair of scissors cut the air? Now the upper body seems okay minus the abdominal area never moved creating that stiffness. You kept it up right and only moved the chest and midriff area. Also I can understand having the body upright could be the leading cause of the stumble and tripping, but it just doesn't fit well. Running upright is unnatural and in runs you tend to lean a bit forward to use the weight of your upper body to push you further and your legs act as a balancing tool to project you further keeping you sort of upright, but not all the way, so good bobble with each step would be good.

Now the beginning of him sort of stumbling and falling was ehh, not so good. In this case you kept the feet running at the same pace and seesawed the body forward. What you should of done was have the guy sort of take longer strides which then would show he was struggling to keep himself from heaving over. This when he starts stumbling. He should be halfway between falling now and sort of slippng for which may look like he's trying to craw which would create distance between his feet sort of closer together with each extension. At this point the weigh of his leaning over with his hands extended for a possible anticipation of him falling.

Then of course his body over comes the speed of his legs and falls. Thus leading into that excellent fall I feel you did. But let me point out during the run you kept his waist at the same level through out the run. You should of created a variation with each push off and landing. Having it go up and down slightly. Also if you're going to have the guy run in place have some kind of simple background that can A)loop easy and B)Give a representation that he's not running place, but is actually running in a direction.

All together you dropped the ball with the running and really showed stiffness by not moving every node. The run was too uptight and should have been more relaxed and the leading into the stumble and into the fall should have been eased into more.

Fourth: Surprise a horse!

Spoiler:
    Dude the take off was perfect and for a minute I thought you had the run down...but then you got lazy and did what you did in the previous animation. Also yeah! You were able to angel the body correctly, but you once again didn't move it enough during the run.

At least you had some props in this that gave a definition of him moving, but the background could have had some kind fence maybe to better showing forward action. Now onto his first jump, you showed no anticipation for it and the whole slow mo on the peak of the jump was crud and ruined it. The flow was killed and the fact your running over an obstacle with considerable speed, just was meh. I can understand that it was an action shot to show his feat, but overall you have to understand if you're going to have combo of some sort of movements, this case jumping and hopping? Over objects, you have learn to control the speed so you don't rob the momentum and kill the flow.

After the horrible slow mo and jump, you went back into that stiff run and swung over the next one? You over complicated it and the little 3D you used wasn't enough. There was no build up to what I would feel would propose the swing and once again you slowed it down a bit. By doing that swinging action you slowed down the passing of the obstacle and I don't know the swing was just to subtle and nothing seemed to make it stand out as it should.

Then there's the landing after the swing, the body was at a no point did you show that he was going from a flat/lying down position to standing up motion. You literally had him stand up and that once again showed lack of connection two movements. In this case there should have been some kind of bowing action or something to show a transition from the flat lying pose to an upright run.

The end bit was funny and really well animated for the small bit it was. Sort of made up for the lack of transitions and stuff, but still not redeeming.

In all the first bit of your run showed a good variations and then you fell into that 3-4 frame run, that acted like scissors. Lead up to jump was poorly executed as well as slow mo. Swinging action once again lacked a build up and the landing was raw and didn't connect well with running right after it. The horse was funny and yeah keep working you're getting better.

Spoiler:
    Fifth: Graviy gone

Umm....I really can't critique this one because Gravity is a hard thing animate and this animation doesn't even belong in this thread. It felt too stiff and choppy. Without gravity you have nothing that's really affecting you and the guy literally was sporadically moving about and just was too static? Really should have been more floating and then sudden reinstating gravity with nothing else after that, it was incomplete and I feel this should have been redone and further animated I guess.

Should of freestyled this and animated it further.

Sixth: Go Sonic!

This isn't bad, but I think maybe you should have had him run a bit longer at a regular pace before turning into a speed ball. Also going into the speed ball there should have been some kind of jump of some sort I think because I feel maybe With a jump he could coil up and begin speeding. The problem also is, during his spinning generally there's something to indicate he's moving fast. Having the spik edges can help, but you didn't move them fast enough and typically during his spinning he's really fast thus there should more motion blur of some sort that way it can be better represented. Now when you have him fall out of scene and pop back in, the secondary speed ball behind him really showed a good demonstration that you should done in the first place as well as the whole ground rubble he created with the impact. This should have been in the first roll up as well to better give the effect speed. The speed blur leading him after him off stage was perfect and in the right spot, also ground rubble could have been there too when he zipped by.

Altogether not bad, few quirks, but you got a good grasp on sonic.

Seventh: Trampoline

Spoiler:
    This one was perfect and over all had great movements. The bowing of the trampoline was perfectly animated and the over all figure moved swiftly across it while having a good bounce. I like that you didn't have the feet completely together and had a slight separation It really added to it and gave a good depth without making it completely 3d it was subtle enough to make it work.

Only one thing that is a little bothersome is the way the knees are very jittery at the peak of the hops. I know it's hard to keep them at a good distance, but choppiness is something you have to watch out for.

Overall this perfect in all aspects. You moved every node and kept them in reasonable movement that really showed consistency. The arms flopped good and the body had nice flow. Take note on how you animated this and use it sort of in your animations so you can repeat this fluent movements. Of course don't treat everything like it's a trampoline, but try to keeping thing flowing like a calm breeze.

Last: Looping hop

Spoiler:
    Wow, you really took what you did in the trampoline and presented it well in this. You were able to connect movements and vastly improve your animating. The only problem I had was the hand stand landing, but that was so minute, it didn't matter. This flow you have here is perfect. I would go onto say this is intermediate quality. You have two animations one after another mind you, that demonstrate you have improved since I last commented back in April. You listen to us and have easily gotten a ton better. Everything was perfect and one more animation with this awesome flow and easing and movements in maybe a longer animation and you can be an intermediate.

Over all review:

What I witness from going back to the animation I initially commented and up to this recent one you have done a fair job. You surpassed my expectations and easily won me over. Keith you truly have what it takes to be creative. I say now you need to start broadening your focus on animating as in creating stories and giving lengthy stuff that could propel you. You have honed in on your skill and are dramatically improving.

In no doubt of mind you can easily reach the next level with one more animation with this raw talent you have and serious dude, you just blew my mind away. In a mere 8 animations I just reviewed I saw progress that not many have done. You've taken critiques, deconstruct them and improved what has been pointed out, this is an early congratulations on intermediate because you're one animation away from it and I'm sure the staff have been keeping an eye on your thread and are awaiting for one more nail in the crate to ship you into intermediate hall.

Now quit reading this and get to working and remember: TAKE YOUR TIME! Do not rush perfection and just have fun.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Banned
    God what the hell. Why are you in beginner? Man those flips were so smooth and cartoonish and, wow. I don't expect to see you here for much longer man.

Courtesy? (Means you comment on my thread)
    -Nide

Banned
    Good anims and good effects,great potential ! High-Beg
    ~Courtesy?

Banned
    I like this, the animation had a nice, smooth flow to it. med-beginner
    The other animations are decent too, but it's the first one that most people are seeing. Good job, just needs good poses.

Courtesy?
    http://www.animator.net/forum/pivot-...nimations.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast